First year using the BBB method!

Mar 17, 2016
Crosby, Texas
Hi everyone!

I've had my Intex 24' round pool for 5 years now and entering the 6th pool season with it. The liner is beginning to fray where the top poles pass through it, so it will be replaced this winter.

It wasn't until the end of last season that I found this forum and starting kicking myself in the behind for not becoming more educated in pool chemistry. After I realized the effects of cya, it was already too late - 100+ level. In October, we had a horrible storm with massive flooding and lost the pool cover. The good news, mother nature replaced a good 8" of water with rain water. lol CYA level is now around 60. Still too high, but I just can't risk running my water well pump long enough to replenish more water. To my surprise, my pH level was 7.5!

Last night I began the task of cleaning out the massive amount of leaves from the bottom of the pool. The pump is dead as it was under water for a few days from the flood. My new pump should be ready for pick up this afternoon from Grainger. Right now, the water is a nice shade of pea soup with odd things floating around that I can't identify.

Looking forward to maintaining the pool this year with the BB method. If we get a good rainy spring, more of the water might get replenished and bring my cya level down to a more manageable level!

Welcome to TFP! :wave: Sounds like you have a little "green" work ahead of you, but nothing you can't handle. I wouldn't worry too much about your CYA of 60. That's about what I run in my pool year-round since I get full sun all day on the water. Nice to have you with us.

Enikolich- Don't you just want to scream when you realize how much money you *used* to have to spend to get your pool water too high in CYA, probably not near as sparkly as it is with the TFP methods and all the time wasted??

Yeah, I love those stories ;) Then I love to hear how frugal, clean and enjoyable your pool is (or will be) now.

Welcome to TFP... glad to have ya here!

Welcome!! You will love it here... I stumbled here a few years ago with my Intex swamp lol Fortunately, now I rent a place with an inground pool and take care of it using the only method I know - TFP. It has never failed me and the people here are pretty awesome with advice...

Oh and we ALL love pics.... :)

HI! You sure have gotten your moneys worth out of that pool!

I am guessing you have a test kit? Which one did you get?

Kim

I have a Taylor 2000 Commercial kit. It was actually given to me by one of the properties I work for. I just had to replenish some of the reagents. I'm headed to Grainger now to get my new pump then to get about 20 gallons of concentrated bleach for my slam. I'll start that Saturday morning so I can babysit the chemistry. Supposed to be a cloudy day, so should be good conditions to start the process!

Your next homework will be to fill out your signature please. (settings-upper right hand side, edit signature-on left) Put in kind and size of pool along with pump and equipment kind and size. You should also add what test kit you have for all to see every time you post.

Kim

Enikolich- does your test kit include the FAS-DPD test for chlorine up to 50ppm? I didn't think the Taylor 2000 series included that, and that's one of the most important tests we advocate having. It is the one with the powder.

If you don't have one with your kit, it can be purchased separately- TFTestkits.net

Enikolich- does your test kit include the FAS-DPD test for chlorine up to 50ppm? I didn't think the Taylor 2000 series included that, and that's one of the most important tests we advocate having. It is the one with the powder.

If you don't have one with your kit, it can be purchased separately- TFTestkits.net

You are correct. It doesn't.

I'm doing my slam today. I'm 7 hours into it and it's an all day marathon of watching the numbers, brushing, etc. I got about 25 bags(nets) of leaves out of the pool. After my fc level stabilized, strange things started floating to the top, bringing another 5 net fulls of leaves with it.

I have a prefilter on the on the skimmer and I've cleaned the filter at least 6 times today. It's hard to tell what's algae and what's just green water from the pollen. But my numbers are looking good right now and my aquaBot is doing its thing!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
After you get all that debris out, how will you perform a SLAM procedure without knowing how high (or not high enough?) your FC is. The SLAM level is based on your CYA level.

Test strips for now. My cya is around 60 and I've been testing/retesting all day long to keep my chlorine at slam level. Water is about half the darkness and the aqua bot is coming up with very little. Now I'm done for the day and letting the pump run all night. Back at it in the morning!

With CYA of 60 you need to maintain FC of 24 ppm during a SLAM. Are there any test strips that claim to read that high? Not that they would be accurate anyway but do they even exist?