Can someone educate me on zinc?

moreira85

Nov 8, 2015
Boston, MA
New pool and will be putting in the salt chlorinator come spring. Can someone educate me on zinc anodes? I saw that they have some that just go in your skimmer basket. How do these work or should I get an inline? How do I hook it up?

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooo to zinc in the skimmer!!!! It is absolutely the wrong thing to do.

Zinc is used as a sacrificial anode when it is electrical connected to a dissimilar metal. It is designed to corrode instead of the metal you connect it to. Not only is salt water a lousy way to connect dissimilar metals but it will not protect anything in the water. All you will do is load your water up with zinc cations (zinc has a solubility limit of ~1ppm at pool pH) and the rest of the corroded zinc oxide will just land in your filter.

It's just fundamentally a bad idea based on a total misunderstanding of electrochemistry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk,16k gal SWG pool (All Pentair), QuadDE100 Filter, Taylor K-2006

So no the oNE I read about hooking up to bond and burying?

You can hook up a zinc sac-anode to the bonding wire and that will do an ok job. Just don't put any zinc in your water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk,16k gal SWG pool (All Pentair), QuadDE100 Filter, Taylor K-2006

Got a link for a recommendation 4 a product?

If you look up "zinc sacrificial anode" on Amazon you'll find a lot of products for the boat market. You might find something there that works for you. You could also call around to plumbing supply shops and see if anything is sold there. Unfortunately there's no product specifically designed for the DIY Pool market.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.