? concerning in-floor cleaning systems

Feb 10, 2008
Gilbert AZ
When operating the in-floor cleaning system, is it better to pull water in from the floor drain or from the skimmer?
I would think it would be more efficient to pull water from the main drain as the larger particles don't always stay in suspension long enough to get to the skimmer. Let's hear your thoughts.
Thanks

An in floor cleaning system blows debris towards the main drain, so you normally want the main drain on at least somewhat when using an in floor system. The skimmer is designed to deal with floating debris, so you want that one most of the time as well.

I guess this is a bit of an old thread, but I'll respond anyway. I adjust mine depending on what's going on. If a storm drops a lot of floating leaves in it, the I'll open the skimmer valves wide open and close up the main drain. If I have a lot of gunk in the bottom, I do the opposite (I have a tree over the pool that drops floating stuff sometimes and sinking stuff at others). Most of the time, I have one skimmer off, the other skimmer about 1/3 open and the main train a little over half open. If I get a lot of sticks in the pool, I'll close off the main drain and clean manually, because it has a tendency to get clogged.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.