Spa Frog Inline Bromine cartridge or Spa Frog @ease inline chlorine release cartridge

Feb 19, 2016
New Hampton
Trying to decide which way to go on a new caldera spa that has the inline cartridge option for spa frog .

Spa frog is releasing a new inline cartridge though in a few weeks that is chlorine based instead of bromine.

The chlorine one seems more appealing as it will automatically keep the 1.0-2.00 ppm of chlorine through some sort of "smart" release

The spa frog bromine cartridges are also available but require trying to dial in the settings etc.

Which way should I go here? bromine or chlorine?

Thanks

spa frog isn't recommended here at TFP. The mineral based portion can't be tested for to see if it is working, and doesn't do anything that chlorine/bromine can't do better.

The other bromine cartridge could be used I suppose, but I can't help but think that it would be a waste of money, as a bromine bank can be established as an all in one addition.

Perhaps you could establish a bromine bank, then use a spa frog cartridge with just chlorine in it as an oxidizer for sanitation.

You still need to test regularly for free chlorine/bromine, and chlorine will be needed after spa use. The cartridge would be to supply sanitation on days when the spa isn't in use.

In my opinion, the Spa Frog is a distraction from what is important in spa sanitation, and is a waste of your time and money.

As for whether to use chlorine, or use bromine, I'll just say that a chlorine system is easily converted to bromine, but going back the other way requires water replacement. I use chlorine, but many folks use bromine, and do well with it in spas. It's up to you.

<<The cartridge would be to supply sanitation on days when the spa isn't in use.>>

This is the reason I'm thinking of using the @ease system, and during the winter when I may not get out there each day like I do when the weather is warmer. At least I can be assured that a basic sanitary level of chlorine will be available to keep the spa good until I use it again. I'm thinking it will be especially good when I go away for 1 week or so.

I have The Caldera kuai.
and i use also a mineral frog capsule , not The bromine that is forbidden in The netherlands.
but is the mineral frog NOT recommended?????

As you know, TFP frowns on anything that isn't really needed. So the mineral part of the frog is not recommended. Depending on what is in there it could be adding to issues and you wouldn't know it.

I have The Caldera kuai.
and i use also a mineral frog capsule , not The bromine that is forbidden in The netherlands.
but is the mineral frog NOT recommended?????
As Bob pointed out, TFP generally frowns on the Frog mineral systems. In pool applications the "minerals" in the system can slowly build up over time to the point that staining of the pool may be an issue.

Now, you are using it in a spa which generally should have the water replaced 3 or 4 times a year. In this application the minerals will not build up to the point of staining, but there is another downside. The minerals are very good at killing/preventing algae but do noting for pathogens that can allow human to human transmission of Bacteria or Virus. Should the chlorine become depleted the metals will continue to kill the algae, but the really bad stuff can be there unseen. You can liken the algae to the canary in a coal mine. If you are using chlorine and there is no algae then you can be reasonably assured that the really bad stuff is not there also. Add metals/minerals and the algae may be missing, but you are unsure of the bad stuff.

As Bob pointed out, TFP generally frowns on the Frog mineral systems. In pool applications the "minerals" in the system can slowly build up over time to the point that staining of the pool may be an issue.
Now, you are using it in a spa which generally should have the water replaced 3 or 4 times a year. In this application the minerals will not build up to the point of staining,

I'm new to the Hot Tub scene and have been learning about all the chemicals, water balance, etc. I like the Dichlor/Bleach method and will probably use this in the future. However, I did like the idea of the frog system (not because of the minerals) because of the ability to have it taking care of my tub while I am away for 1-2 weeks at a time, keeping the chlorine levels up to a point of taking care of the "bad guys." Are there other ways of taking care of this 1-2 week absence?? It seems other methods require a daily or at least every 2-3 day constant contact with the tub.

Reactions: ChrisPDX
You can use a floater and trichlor tabs. A 3" tab takes a long time to disolve. This will add CYA to you tub, test FC based on CYA in pool school. I don't worry about CYA levels building up because water will be dumped in 3-4 months.

You can use a floater and trichlor tabs. A 3" tab takes a long time to disolve. This will add CYA to you tub, test FC based on CYA in pool school. I don't worry about CYA levels building up because water will be dumped in 3-4 months.

I had read somewhere else that I shouldn't use trichlor in a spa? Is this another of those things that is debated among the hot tub community? I've been reading a lot widely trying to learn as much as possible. I appreciate the help!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.