Windmill or Florida Sabal Palm for Dallas

Meaty

Sep 8, 2015
South West Florida
Both are cold hardy for our zone (8) but does anyone have local experience with either? My fear is dropping money into a plant and having it die over the winter. Both seem to otherwise be similar in growth rate, sun exposure, fruit, etc

Hi Meaty,
Im 120 miles East of Dallas so our weather is about the same. My neighbor has 2 windmills and I have a couple of friends that also have windmill palms.
They have been there for several years and are doing great.

Hope you are happy with your windmills. We have 2 along with a pindo palm and a needle palm. All have been growing well for us. We are just north of Lake Lewisville.
BTW I have seen a huge and very healthy sabal palm in Dallas. I have some young sabal palms from it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
In addition to water, the next best thing you can do for your palms is to fertilize them with a 07-00-09 fertilizer and add Seahume as well. I use the following schedule and amounts:

4th week of March
07-00-09 2 pounds
Seahume 1 Cup

4th week of April
07-00-09 2 pounds
Seahume 1 Cup

3rd week of July
07-00-09 2 pounds

1st week of September
07-00-09 2 pounds
Seahume 1 Cup

You may need to adjust for your climate, but it does wonders for my palms.

Closest thing I've found so far to a palm fertilizer. I'm going to go to the plant store tomorrow.
6313c6740b7e00216b5d2a85e75c8471.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What is seahume and where do you buy it,thanks

Here is a link to what Seahume is Horticulture Hotline: SeaHume I buy mine at a local store that specializes in horticulture. I am sure one of your local garden centers would have it. The numbers of the fertilizer are important. They correspond to Nitrogen (N), Phosphorus (P), and Potassium (K) ratios. The one pictured above is pretty close if you can't find exactly 07-00-09.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.