Impeller help needed - please see picture

Onslow

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 11, 2010
Kentucky
I'm trying to run my pump and it seems to start well. However no water is flowing and there's a loud rattle.

I tool apart the housing and found the following...

impeller_1.jpg

impeller_2.jpg

...what do I need to do? Don't want to go any further without consulting the forum.

Thank you!

Did you unscrew the impeller or was it loose like that?

It might be a good idea (whatever you do) to get a seal replacement kit while it's apart.

What do the other parts look like? (diffuser / other piece you took off)

We need to know the whole story. Are the impeller passages clean? What does the rest look like?

All internal cavities of the housing (and impeller) were clean of debris and all water came out before taking anything apart.

- - - Updated - - -

Did you unscrew the impeller or was it loose like that?

It might be a good idea (whatever you do) to get a seal replacement kit while it's apart.

What do the other parts look like? (diffuser / other piece you took off)

The impeller was already like that.

Another note: I've only had this for a couple of years so if the Shaft Seal can be kept I'd like to as it's not that old yet. Does the picture look like I have to clean broken plastic out of it?

Chip/ cut the rest of the impellor off, replace shaft seal (better to do it now than get it put back together and it leak....they are cheap enough), and replace impellor.

Ya even though your seal may not be that old, they are cheap and you don't know what kind of damage
it has since the impeller came off...could be little bits of plastic that got in. Any of that would
shorten the life big time. I've seen leaking pump seals that look like new so a visual inspection
won't tell you anything.

You can probably do an amazon search for "pool pump impeller" then add the serial number
from your impeller to get a new one.

Okay - just ordered replacement parts. Kind of a silver lining as apparently this pump could have one of two impellers (a 3/4hp or a 1hp) and it was built with the weaker of the two. Not sure why they would do that if the motor is 1.5hp but... A good opportunity to increase flow!

Follow up: I have the parts.

Does ANYONE know how to remove the rear cover?

I loosened two flathead screws from the back but none of the back housing is budging. Removing the back cover is apparently how I access a large slot for me to secure with a flathead during shaft seal removal. Again this is the Power FLo Matrix which also has a weird motor housing (the motor is completely encased in a plastic shell) allowing the pump to "rotate" 90 degrees. Thanks.

IMG_3534.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Back of replacement impeller rubbing against housing - safe to use?

Got everything took apart and am putting back together. Closing this thread and starting a new one to ask about a new issue.

A post-mortem to this thread:

<rant>
Cut to the chase: If you happen to have this pump (SP5615) do NOT order SPX1500L or SPX1500F as an impeller replacement. Yes, it is a Power-Flo Matrix. No it is not the American version (even though it was bought from a company out of Buffalo, NY).

It requires the SPX1591F (just like the picture at top of this thread). This is a Canadian-sourced item. The stem is at least .5" longer than the SPX1500x impellers. It took me a while to locate this. You will have to order this from Canada online shop that has a "no returns on parts" policy and it will be a little pricey but...

Again despite what some may say SPX1500x are not identical replacements for SPX1591F impellers (why would they be?). Also, do not be surprised if Hayward and the reseller tell you this impeller is not compatible with the pump.
</rant>

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.