SWG pool filter purchasing question

Newpoolcrazy

LifeTime Supporter
May 15, 2015
La Porte, TX
Good afternoon, my saviors! Back at pool school learning more about SWG, but right now PB/store says they are looking for a Hayward pump that's 1.5 HP that's 2 speed. She says she's having a hard time finding one because they are usually used for inground pools and can't find a distributor who has one available.

Does this sound true to you? I want the 2 speed if I can get it. But how important is it in a 16'x32'x54" pool? And if it is that important in the long run, any ideas where to find one?

It's an above ground Cornelius Monterey with the above measurements.

It's a big purchase compared to last year's pool so I want to do it right from the get go.

Thanks in advance for any advice. :confused:

Also does the TF100 kit give you more reagents etc, than the TK2006C? I'm a good girl and test a lot so I'd like to have a kit that lasts as long as the season. Or at least half way. I hear it's not color coded like the TK but that shouldn't be an issue if I'm used to testing, yeah?

Sig file still has old info on it so you can see what we are trying to graduate from.
Thanks again!

You will get more for your Dollar with the TF-100, and there's no issue with the color coding of the lids. Some of the lids and labels are colored in the 100, but it's the instructions you go by anyway.

A two speed pump is nice, but not necessary, but if you want it, there's no reason you can't use a pump for an IG pool. As long as it isn't over-sized for the filter, it doesn't matter.

thanks Patrick. I know they are preferred, but if it's not necessary, that's another thing. I don't want to get it just because I think I want it. If one speed works just fine, we can go with that and save some grief by not having to search for the 2 sp. And I might as well switch to TF100 as well.

You will get more for your Dollar with the TF-100, and there's no issue with the color coding of the lids. Some of the lids and labels are colored in the 100, but it's the instructions you go by anyway.

A two speed pump is nice, but not necessary, but if you want it, there's no reason you can't use a pump for an IG pool. As long as it isn't over-sized for the filter, it doesn't matter.

Perhaps the one other angle to consider that usually accompanies this subject is the ability to stay on low speed (when you have 2 speed) for energy efficiency. I believe your new pool will be just under 18K gallons. Mine is too. A 2 HP would be on low most of the time, then you would flip it over to high just for cleaning, mixing chemicals faster, when swimmers are over, or for additional help if you have a second PVC line plumbed (i.e. water feature). Also, not sure why the PB/store is focusing only on Hayward. Don't get me wrong, they have great products (my equipment is Hayward & Waterway), but there are lots of great pumps out there for a good price. Like Patrick highlighted, match the pump with your proposed filtration system and know in advance what size pipes/fittings you currently have. Might save some time later when matching everything up. :)

In the end, post here before you "swipe" the credit card and let the pump/filtration experts here give your proposal a sanity check.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.