use of pool perfect recommend by leslies

Mar 16, 2016
Santa Clarita,CA
Hi, i am new to the site and need some assurance on NOT using pool perfect for phosphate control due to the high cost. I am going to get the taylor k2006 kit and keep up on the chlorine/cya levels and start using liquid chlorine as often as needed with testing often. Leslies has me me adding 2.5 capfuls twice a week, i can't afford that. What do you guys think?

thanks, dave

You do NOT need that stuff! Phosphates aren't a problem in a properly chlorinated pool.

IF you had an algae filled pool the phosphates are food for algae, but we don't advocate letting algae take hold so.... no need to worry about phosphates! LOL

Walk out and stay out of pool stores and your pool will be much healthier and cheaper to maintain by using our methods.

Good call on getting that test kit as it will save you bundles of money in the long run. I promise!

I'd divide your question into two parts:

1) Do I need Pool Perfect? No, you don't. As far as I can tell, it will do nothing for you.

2) Do I need Phosfree*, phosphate remover? If you test your water and conclude, on the basis of those tests, that reduction of phosphates is in order, perhaps. "A properly sanitized pool" implies a pool that never drops below the minimum required free chlorine. Apparently, from the amount of "algae complaints" we hear, there are a lot of pools that drop below that minimum number and Mother Nature's punishment ensues. Algae feeds on phosphates and starving them can't hurt, if you are prone to letting your FC drop below the minimum.

So, I conclude that if you have a regime of testing for FC and never let the chlorine drop, you probably don't ever need to worry about phosphates. If that isn't the case, you may want to read further and develop an iron clad regime of testing and response before buying "stuff" from the pool store.

FWIW, I use borates and check for phosphates. Maybe not necessary, but with proper testing and judicious use, they are cheap insurance against that unanticipated algae bloom.....

PS*
No personal recommendation to buy the Phosfree brand, other similar chemicals can be bought at significant discount.

Last edited:
Welcome! :wave:

If it means anything, I've never had my phosphates tested. I've never added Phos-free. I've also never had an algae bloom in over 5 years. And like you, I don't ever really close; it just gets too cold to swim in and too expensive to heat.

If you locate a HASA dealer nearby, you can buy a whole lot of refillable jugs of 12.5% bleach for the price of a jug of Phos-free.

I'd divide your question into two parts:

1) Do I need Pool Perfect? No, you don't. As far as I can tell, it will do nothing for you.

2) Do I need Phosfree, phosphate remover? If you test your water and conclude, on the basis of those tests, that reduction of phosphates is in order, perhaps. "A properly sanitized pool" implies a pool that never drops below the minimum required free chlorine. Apparently, from the amount of "algae complaints" we hear, there are a lot of pools that drop below that minimum number and Mother Nature's punishment ensues. Algae feeds on phosphates and starving them can't hurt, if you are prone to letting your FC drop below the minimum.

So, I conclude that if you have a regime of testing for FC and never let the chlorine drop, you probably don't ever need to worry about phosphates. If that isn't the case, you may want to read further and develop an iron clad regime of testing and response before buying "stuff" from the pool store.

FWIW, I use borates and check for phosphates. Maybe not necessary, but with proper testing and judicious use, they are cheap insurance against that unanticipated algae bloom.....

agree :goodjob:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.