Pool Stairs and Pet Question

Mar 16, 2016
Saint John IN
Hi, this is my first post to the forum, hope I am posting to the correct category. I have an in ground salt water pool and a 117lb Labrador Retriever. Last year I discovered water pooling on the south end of my yard and thought it was the irrigation system. Long story short, my lab punctured my pool stairs. I have 3 vinyl steps that extend the entire width of the pool. I have spent countless hours researching a solution so Auggie does not puncture my stairs again this year. Last year I placed shower matts on the steps. This was a time consuming task, and the suction cups loosed and matts fell to the bottom of the pool. This year we are going to glue pool ladder matts to each step. Auggie's nails will not go through the ladder matts. I do keep his nailed trimmed, he is just a solid strong boy. Has anyone had an experience with this or any suggestions?

Solution 1. Auggie heads for weight watchers next week

Solution 2. Augie has to wear Crocs when he swims

Solution 3. Auggie is only allowed to do the backstroke

(My apologies, I am not nearly as funny as I think I am)

I think this is the very first actual report we have had of a dog puncturing vinyl-lined steps. Many of us have had dogs for years that go in and out without damage to the vinyl.

How did you patch the punctures?

Was the pooling water above the level of the punctures or below that level?

Was this ever resolved? I'm very interested in this as well, I have two female labs ranging from 70-80 lbs. I'm agonizing over the decision to install vinyl or fiberglass steps (really want the vinyl).

One idea - might not be easy. Our pool is done like this, but it was built with this in mind. They built stairs covered in vinyl that go down into the pool and then laid long flagstone (I think) on top. So there's stone on top of the vinyl. There may be some sort of anchor not sure never tried to take them off. But it's beautiful and functional.

I joined, just to post in this thread lol. We are first time pool owners as we just purchased our property in the boonies last August, with the pool in disrepair. We just put down the deposit on the liner and now I have a couple of weeks to obsess and learn all that I can.

Now, to the point, we have 5 dogs (we are out of our minds, yes) and for safety's sake, I'm trying to resolve this as well. My husband doesn't really want them in the pool, because of liner concerns. I can understand that. My worry is that they need a way to get out safely *should* they fall/jump in. I'm planning on doing some training with them to get them accustomed to it and let them know what they need to do to get out instead of freaking out. I've been looking at the dock style versions since steps really aren't a natural thing for them coming out of water.

If money isn't a problem, these look like the BEST things out there for the purpose. doggydocks® the Original Dog Boat Ladder, Pool Pup Pet Water Steps and Pup Steps.

I've also come across a DIY version with an industrial rubber mat and pool noodles underneath to help with the water end to stay afloat. That made me think that I could just get one of those foam floats and anchor it near the edge somehow.

I'd love some other ideas!

I wished I had a solution to your problem, but I just wanted to say that we have never had a problem with our dog and liner issues and he is not much bigger than yours, however we don't have vinyl steps.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.