Plumbing design

wmmallette

Silver Supporter
Mar 8, 2016
New Albany, Mississippi
Wasn't sure if this needs to be in this section or the section about water movement, but I put it here since it deals with an upcoming new construction.

I just picked a pool shape and size of a steel wall pool with a vinyl liner and want to do this as an O/B.
However, I would need help with designing and planning the plumbing. Are there members who would design my system on a paid basis? Or has anyone used a company that does this they could recommend?

Thanks,
Mickey

I have a very open area in which to build. It is all flat yard or pasture land. I am installing near a metal building that I will convert into a pool house to get out of the heat. We do not live in any municipality, so no restrictions there.

We are converting an 18'x40' Full-L shape into a T shape. Here is a link to the .pdf of the kit. Scroll to the bottom to the 18'x40'
http://www.megnapools.com/FULL-L 2 FT RAD.pdf

here is a Google Earth photo of the part of our yardf where the pool will be located. The white rectangle I drew is where we want the pool. The white building just to the left of it is the metal building I referenced earlier.

IMG_7626.PNG.jpg

This is a crude sketch of where I want it to sit in relation to the building.

IMG_7660.jpg

-Mickey

I have a very open area in which to build. It is all flat yard or pasture land. I am installing near a metal building that I will convert into a pool house to get out of the heat. We do not live in any municipality, so no restrictions there.

We are converting an 18'x40' Full-L shape into a T shape. Here is a link to the .pdf of the kit. Scroll to the bottom to the 18'x40'
http://www.megnapools.com/FULL-L 2 FT RAD.pdf

here is a Google Earth photo of the part of our yardf where the pool will be located. The white rectangle I drew is where we want the pool. The white building just to the left of it is the metal building I referenced earlier.

View attachment 45771

This is a crude sketch of where I want it to sit in relation to the building.

View attachment 45772

-Mickey

On this sketch, where are your prominent winds? that will be the best way to design you plumbing.

do they change during the spring, summer, fall?
are you keeping open all year?

these answers will dictate where you put skimmers or if you need 2 or only 1

On the sketch, the top of the sketch is West, the Bottom is East, the right side is South and the left side is North. I dont know if they change during the year, but mostly wind comes in blowing North East. We wouldnt keep the pool open all year, but have an extended season just based on our location. We are in the North part of Mississippi.

And I am not married to the shallow end being on the North end. It can just as well be on the South end if that helps the design and flow of water for skimmers.

you can put them wherever you want but the skimmer needs to be on the downwind side. I put mine on the east side because the wind always blows from the northeast or the southeast

so for you it sounds like you would want 1 on the south of the pool... if you wanted 2 maybe 1 southeast side and 1 southwest side and then have returns on the north side... the problem I see is the inside edge of the T, you would get very little flow there unless you put 1 return on each side...

Is that clear as mud :)

That seems like the opposite. I would have thought that if the wind generally blows North East, then I would want skimmers on the North because the wind would naturally blow debris to that end of the pool near a skimmer. If my skimmers were on the South then wouldn't the returns and skimmers be working against the natural flow of the wind?

Either your North/South or East/West direction is incorrect so I don't really know on skimmer placement. This was my best guess.

When you say "jets" are you talking about actual jets (with an airline) of just standard returns?

Are the dimensions for the pool correct? I didn't see any one of the designs that showed a "T" configuration?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-03-17 at 12.02.05 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2016-03-17 at 12.02.05 AM.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 574

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That seems like the opposite. I would have thought that if the wind generally blows North East, then I would want skimmers on the North because the wind would naturally blow debris to that end of the pool near a skimmer. If my skimmers were on the South then wouldn't the returns and skimmers be working against the natural flow of the wind?

You are correct, I mixed up and thought coming from the north, not blowing to the north :)

Bdavis, that design is awesome

BDavis, awesome!

On the steps, I meant air line jets.

On the dimensions, the only thing you do not have correct is you have the total length of the shallow end at 42', when it is only 30'. Therefore, the top of the "T" will only extend 6' out on either side instead of the 12' shown in your schematic above.

In the orientation you have in your schematic (as i had it in my drawing), the shallow end is to the North, which would mean that the wind would normally blow debris to that end and to the East corner mostly. I am open to suggestions whether to leave the pool in this orientation or to swap the shallow and deep ends to put the shalow end to the South if that is a better solution. That would blow most debris to the deep end.

Also, in the current orientation, the steps are in the right part of the pool, but they will not be in the actual perimeter of the pool, they will be just outside the pool perimeter at that same location. If the pool were flipped to put the shallow end on the South, then they would still be on the West leg of the shallow end nearest the building in my drawing.

Does this information alter anything in your mind, from a skimmer and return placement perspective?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.