Plumbing design

What should my considerations be besides initial cost of the pump? I would think that down the road, we may add a spa or water feature. Just dont know. I would rather spend a couple hundred bucks extra now and not have to think about my pump in the future. I dont see a ton of price difference between 2-speed and the superflo VS 1.5

Am I missing something major? You guys have to reign me in, cause I sure do not know. I initially looked at the 3 HP, 011018 model before being recommended the 342001 model.

If you are planning to add a spa, I probably wouldn't go with a SuperFlo VS. An Intelliflo might be a better choice.

Check with your power company. There may be rebates for a VS pump.

But if you go the VS route, put in a surge protector.

Turnover really isn't relevant for run time. Pool School - Determine Pump Run Time

Run time is mostly about debris removal which is related to GPM but not turnover. For most pools, 3-4 hours is just fine. Others like to run longer if they get a lot of debris in the pool but that is purely optional.

If my diagram looks good from a hydraulics standpoint for my pool specs, then I will probably go with what I have listed. Except I will get a Jandy valve for the skimmer lines instead of the ball valves.

Thanks Mark and Brian!

Make sure that the Jandy valves are the NeverLube ones, not the standard gray ones.

So now that I am just waiting on my pool kit to arrive, I thought I would see how my pricing seemed to others. I am attaching a list of the kit parts and my pool drawing. The kit was $6271 inlcuding the liner. The kit does not inlcude my pump, filter or SWG. This will be another $1950 for a total kit cost of $8221. I have figured my plumbing pipes, valves, backfill rock, concrete (not decking), etc will cost me approximately $1000, for s total equipment cost of betweem $9200 and $9500.

I feel good that the company I am buying from sells a quality product. What do you guys and gals think about my pricing on this kit?

Megna Parts list.jpg

Megna ordered pool.jpg

Does anyone have any recommendations for multiport valve to go with my Superflo VS 1.5hp pump and my 30" Pentair Trition II TR-00 sand filter. All my plumbing will be in 2-inch schedule 40 pvc pipe.

This is is just one of those details that I didnt consider until now. I have no clue how to choose.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
A lot a PBs are in love with loops around pools. Me not so much. The following thread shows an analysis of several different feed mechanisms and while the loop does ok, there are several others that do better. In fact, simply increasing the pipe size obviates the need for a loop.

Analysis of Plumbing Loops and Other Configurations

I think the way you laid out the plumbing will minimize the difference in flow rates between the returns and a loop will not add much balance if any at all.

A lot a PBs are in love with loops around pools. Me not so much. The following thread shows an analysis of several different feed mechanisms and while the loop does ok, there are several others that do better. In fact, simply increasing the pipe size obviates the need for a loop.

Analysis of Plumbing Loops and Other Configurations

I think the way you laid out the plumbing will minimize the difference in flow rates between the returns and a loop will not add much balance if any at all.

Gotcha, my thought on my design was that if needed, I could balance the returns that are pointed directly at the skimmers. I have seen some pools where the flow of the return directly across from the skimmer was too strong and pushing debris by at too fast a rate to be effective to draw it into the skimmer. Which I suppose I could also do with different eyeball pointing locations, but more control seems better to me.

No worries. It is only a few feet of head at 80 gpm. Hardly worth noting. Plus your layout is a bit different because you have two home runs so it won't be an issue.

I have two bids on the install. One guy uses pool-crete and the other guy uses 4000 psi concrete. Is one inherently better than the other? From a complete novice standpoint, my concern would be any propesity for cracking in the concrete that might create a jagged edge or pinch on the liner causing leaks. Is that a real concern? Or should there be any other concerns with either choice?

I don't see much difference between the two but I'd lean toward the 4k psi concrete.

With either substrate, I don't see a crack pinching the liner. A crack big enough to do that kind of damage would likely cause much bigger issues to more than just the pool because it would have to be caused by an outside force.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.