New Pool Build - NE Florida

May 8, 2012
Hello,
We have always enjoyed reading and seeing peoples build, we are now in the process of building our first pool in NE Florida (St Johns County) so thought we would share. We are happy with our choice of pool builder as he had good design ideas, referrals and A+ BBB with a fair price point.

We have 4 kids 6 to 15 and were looking for something that would suit all of their interest while being a visual focal point of our home.

Biggest debates we had

Shape and positioning - Wife wanted pool vertical to house to utilize deep back yard. I wanted pool horizontal so we could screen and reduce cost.
Decision - We went L shaped 30x15 (sport) parallel to house and 26x16 (11x16 leg) perpendicular to the house.

Depth - Our youngest is 6 and an ok swimmer, everyone else in the house are swimmers. We figured no matter what depth the 6 YO would be just about submerged.
Decision - We went a 4-4.5-4 for 30x15 section and 7 feet deep for the small deep end (16wx11 leg). Not enough to dive but we didnt want that anyway wanted a good jumping in area as well as area for kids to get diving rings with more of a challenge.

Our pool build
650 sqft pool
1300 sqft decking
Screened Enclosure (37Dx49W)
Intelliflo VS Pump
2 LED Intellibrite 5G lights
12" Raised Bond Beam with walk space behind
36 " Sheer Descent centered on Bond Beam
2 full length benches at each end of L
Salt Chlorinator
Pentair C&C Cartridge Filter

Outstanding Decisions
Pebble Color - We are going with Marbletite Freestone and leaning heavily towards St Thomas (We want a darker blue but our pool will catch alot of shade this is a light-mid blue which we figure will give us the darker hues we prefer when in the shade).
Decking - We were planning on concrete pavers but are really looking at travertine but would be roughly $3500 more
Tile Color - Wife really wants a blue that is close to the pool color or bring the blue hues to the water

Pool Design.jpg

Hey C Williams, I'm in St. Johns county also. I went with a similar aggregate--Antigua Freestone. It's going in tomorrow. Also went with a paver deck. Seeing it might help with your decisions. PM me if you and your wife want to come by.

Thanks for comments

Skippy - Would pool sleeves go in during the paver install? We definitely will do a net but wasn't sure if we should do something in ground to hold it or get a base that uses a weight or something to hold the net. I will research some more and ask PB.

xsurfx - Awesome I am very interested as Antigua was our first choice but then started swaying lighter, will PM.

Gunite is Monday but very concerned with cave ins with weekend rain in the forecast daily.

Question 1 - We had both lights on the long side by the house shining out but we moved the steps to the right to center with the deep leg of the L. So we had to move the light.
- Its now out of the swim lane but on the right side that is perpendicular to the house. Any concerns of light being too bright from house?

Question 2 - Is it normal to not stub out plumbing prior to gunite?
IMG_1234.jpg

IMG_1719.JPG

I also live in Northern St. Johns County, and am considering using St. Thomas finish by MarbleTitle. I want a medium blue that allows me to clearly see the bottom of the deep end (6 ft). Can you share pics of your pool with this finish? I'm also looking at doing travertine and was trying to decide between Ivory and Roman blend. What did you select?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.