Help with Final Design and Pool Depth for dig Thursday

Feb 13, 2016
McKinney/tx
We are all set to start our pool dig on Thursday and I am having second thoughts on the pool depth and the design. We have three kids, 14, 10 and 5 and were going to go with 3.5-4-5 for the depth with a waterfall grotto in the 5 ft but are thinking of changing it to a smaller 3.5-4-4.5-5.5. Can any of tell tell me which you think? Right now, my son can only stand in 4.5 so it would reduce the immediately usable space but I've heard others on here say they prefer a 4 foot depth over 3.5. Also, we are still debating raising the spa versus having it flush. I think the flush looks really nice in the design but also like the idea of having seating available on the ledge as our yard is small and seating will be needed. I am attaching the 2d and 3d design plans for each. Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated.

Flush 3D
davis--freeform_038_zpswimg6dyf.jpg

Raised 3D
raised_spa_zpss8dm0fz5.jpg

3.5-4-5 Depth Plan
5_max_zpslr0ey9i6.jpg

3.5-4-4.5-5.5
5_5_depth_zpstnayrhqu.jpg

I'll propose that a pool you can't stand in is still eminently usable. I can't stand in half of my pool and I use that part the most! Just an opinion from the other side of the fence.

If that were *my* pool I'd want it deeper and longer. Deeper water is cooler in the hot summer, more refreshing than shallow pools which can feel swampish. Deeper allows for more fun jumping, diving, cannon-balling in. Your kids will enjoy hanging out in deeper water floating on pool noodles and floats just as much there as you will enjoy just standing in the shallow end. I'd go longer so that you can get a little lap swiming (races!) in.

Just my opinion :)

I think the flush spa looks prettiest from that design (real life would look different though, I'm sure), but the extra seating may make it worthwhile alone.

As for depth, I've been researching pool depth A LOT, probably more than any normal human should be trying to read about pools and depths -_- So allow me to impart some internet wisdom I've picked up. Basically, what I've gleaned is that if you plan any sort of swimming in the pools, 4' is better. If it's purely a lounging and play pool, then 3.5' is better. Of if your family in general is pretty short, 3.5' too.

Also yes, for water coolness in super hot summer, the slightly deeper water will help keep it cooler.

Lol! Unfortunately that is the largest possible pool we can fit in our yard so longer isn't possible and we can't go substantially deeper without risking steep inclines. My kids are much for sitting in the water. They are usually floating about, swimming or playing basketball, football or volleyball. And I don't want to take up precious pool space with seating in an already small pool. I think we are going to go with the 3.5-4-4.5-5.5 elevation to have some parts that are "deep" instead of maxing at 5. I'm still debating the flush spa or to keep it raised. My concern with the raised look is that I want it to match the natural lagoon look we have with the waterfall and weeping boulders. We can add rocks to or around it to help. Hubby thinks the flush is too simple.

Thanks for all the feedback! We decided to stay with the 3.5-5.5 because as bmoreswim so eloquently put it, a pool you can't stand in is still eminently usable". We went with the raised spa and they actually dug the hole yesterday. I'll continue to chronicle the build in my original post.

Thanks again everyone!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.