Magnum Force Upgrade

Jul 23, 2015
Ottawa, ON
Hi Everyone,

I've been lurking for a while learning all about pools from this great forum ever since I bought a new home with a pool last summer. The system seemed to be working find last summer when I got it in June but the pool was green since nobody was home for a month. It was cleaned up by a pool store after that and then I took over maintenance with pucks and calcium chloride. I did the closing myself in the but the pump was making noises making me think perhaps the bearings were dying. Before I run out and buy a new set of bearings and seals I'd like to know what people think about my current setup and if its worth repairing the old motor or replacing it.

Season: May to Oct, 6 months.
Pool: 24,000 gallon in ground cement/plaster not painted, 1 skimmer (main drain ties into it), 2 return jets at the shallow end. The pool is original to the house built in 1965 but has obviously had some work done on it since then as the basin and coping looks to be in great shape. I suspect the lines under the deck may be original but who knows.
Pump: 1.5 hp Jacuzzi Magnum Force single speed 220V
Filter: Sand (don't have the model but its the same age as the pump)
Heater: 20,000 BTU natural gas
Pipping: White 1.5" PVC at the pad, 5x 90 degree turns. Looks like 1.5" black poly under the deck (might 1" need to take a closer look)
Head: About 15 feet from the skimmer and slightly less for the returns.
Timer: T101 controlling a 220V relay, the timer motor is dead so it needs to be replaced.
Cleaner: Kreepy Krawly, regular hand vacuum line on a pole.

Hydro Rates:
7pm-7am 8.3c/kWh
7am-11am 12.8c/kWh
11am-5pm 17.5c/kWh
5pm-7pm 12.8c/kWh

Last summer I ran the pump from 8am to 6pm when I got home from work and didn't really appreciate the hydro bill from that. I'd like to get a timer obviously and possibly run the system a night. I'm thinking a two speed pump run on low during the night and on high for vacuuming.

So given that I need a timer and at minimum bearings a seals, do you guys think, I'd be better of simply getting a new motor with a built in timer? Other suggestions welcome = )

Brian

Pool, before it was cleaned:
YyJtCXT.jpg

Pump Motor:
stNlOjr.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20150625_183351.jpg
    IMG_20150625_183351.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 21
Welcome to TFP!

Your timer motor is cheap to replace.

Doing the calculations, your 1.5HP motor uses about 1.3KW allowing for some inefficiency. That means it's costing you (12.8X3hrs+17.5X6hrs+12.8cX1hr)X1.3KW or about $2 a day for your current schedule with your current pump.

You could probably go to a 1HP impeller on your pump with the existing motor and save about 60 cents a day.

Unless your heater and cleaner require it, you could get similar savings by just shutting the pump off for 3 hours in the middle of the day. Many pools get by fine with around 7 hours of pump run per day, though it varies from pool to pool.

Just guessing but having a two-speed running on low at 3/4HP would save you about $1 a day. Then you can price the new pump/motor and figure your pool season to see if you'd save any money by going that route. Often it's not worth it to swap a working pump, but it might be worth it if you have to replace a failed pump.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.