Pool opening: manual vacuum needed?

NOVApool

LifeTime Supporter
Sep 29, 2014
Northern Virginia
Hello, and thanks as always for all the great info.

I did not open my own pool last year but plan on doing so this year. Throughout the season I was able to maintain a clean plaster pool through brushing and a Polaris 360. I have a loop-loc cover so it will be definitely not be spotless when the cover comes off. My questions are:

1) Do I need a manual vacuum for pool opening? If so, any particular recommendations?
2) Throughout the season, am I doing myself a disservice by not using a manual vacuum occasionally and relying solely on the brush/polaris?

Thanks again!

1) Do I need a manual vacuum for pool opening? If so, any particular recommendations?
Perhaps not needed. I'd wait to see what you find when you uncover. It might only need a little leaf scooping up with a net and let the Polaris go in.
2) Throughout the season, am I doing myself a disservice by not using a manual vacuum occasionally and relying solely on the brush/polaris?
I don't think so. Brushing is important, but if you don't need to vacuum, why bother? I have an autocover so I only use a small Pool Blaster Max vacuum to pick up the occasional bit of schmutz. That Polaris is taking care of that...right?

Here's hoping you open and find a nice clean pool....or at least one with minimal debris, eh?

I never manual vacuum. I use the net to get the worms out about once a week in the winter. Doing this regularly saves me from having to deal with 2,500 drowned worms when I open the pool. During the season I brush the walls down once a week and let the Polaris handle the rest. So far, no problems. I should mention that I do not cover my pool.

Thanks to both replies.

I opened the pool yesterday morning, and pool was surprisingly clean, mostly just worms and a negligible amount of dirt. Polaris and brushing has picked up 98% of it as of this morning, so hopefully one more brushing and vacuum will take care of this.

Now I just need to find someone who wants to swim in a 55 degree pool...

Might depend on your cleaner. My cleaner won't come out of the hopper with the winter crud on the liner, so I end up vacuuming first then letting the cleaner do the finish work.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.