Pump and Filter Replacement Recommedations

geoduck

Bronze Supporter
Feb 26, 2016
Mukilteo
After digging into the equipment in my pool room I think to start out with getting this pool ownership trouble free I'll be best served starting with a new pump and filter instead of a restoration project. I have enough restoration to do with the rest of the pool area in general. In addition to the pool their is a spa that is about 75" x 37" x 39" deep with 2 jets. The current pump is 1 HP 110v. It functions but would like to start new and go with something more efficient. On quick glance of the electrical panel I could go with 120 or 240v. I'm thinking I'd like to stick with a sand filter. The most economical filter media I can get is Vitroclean crushed glass through my work that uses it for large industrial water treatment projects.

If I decide to use the spa and have a single pump/heater setup I'm guessing I would be running the setup on either the pool or spa individually and never both at the same time.

I would greatly appreciate any recommendations for a new pump and filter. I'm looking forward to getting this pool ready for the summer!

spa.jpg

Thanks!
Bryan

Last edited:
Polite Bump!

I would greatly appreciate any recommendations on a new pump and filter. I would like to get the hydraulics working so everything is mixing before I tackle the chemistry. Is a 1 HP pump and a 3.1 ft2 foot sand filter sufficient or should I go with something bigger? I have a pool and spa on the same pump, filter, and heater.

Thanks,
Bryan

Bryan, I know you've been waiting for some advice. Thanks for your patience. Something tells me that based on the size of your pool, heater, and spa requirements that you may need something little more than a 1 HP, but it would be best for some other experts to chime in. Hang in there and one of your hydraulic experts should catch-up to your thread soon.

Bryan, I know you've been waiting for some advice. Thanks for your patience. Something tells me that based on the size of your pool, heater, and spa requirements that you may need something little more than a 1 HP, but it would be best for some other experts to chime in. Hang in there and one of your hydraulic experts should catch-up to your thread soon.

Thank you! I have been digging around online and am thinking about going with a Pentair 1.5 HP two speed Whisperflo or 1.5 HP VS Superflo. Based on what I have read the VS doesn't seem necessary because I have relatively cheap electricity in the pacific northwest but I like the built in programming functionality. I assume that I wouldn't need to install a timer with a VS pump? My current pump is 115v but I have plenty of power to my subpanel. Previous to my ownership the pool was indoors with an electric furnace and heat pump dehumidifier/pool heater setup.

I am considering the Pentair 3.1 square feet Tagelus sand filter as well. There are a lot of sand filter options out there and this one seems to have good reviews. I like that it has a built in valve.

Thanks,
Bryan

Just observing, it seems that those pool owners who go with a VS never look back. Even if the cost is a bit high, the satisfaction these owners get is unmistakable.

I am a big fan of sand filters but not so much of other media in them. What advantage will the glass give you?

Regarding sand filters, I am a big fan as well and if you want a little finer filtering, add a little cellulose fiber and it does a tremendous job of filtering out those fine particles that show up at night when your pool light is on. I will also advocate using some type of skimmer sock (panty hose, hair net etc.) which allows you to go much longer between backwashes. In the end, it is all about what works best for you and your pool.

I am a big fan of sand filters but not so much of other media in them. What advantage will the glass give you?

From a maintenance and clarity stand point I'm not sure what advantage the glass will give me. I have never tested standard sand and the glass in a side by side test. I'm a research scientist so I like to see real data. Glass is the lowest cost option and the easiest to get because the company I work for always has 1000's of pounds in the warehouse. It's all we use in our sand filters for industrial and stormwater treatment systems.

Bryan

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.