Run Time Baseline

Kit

Bronze Supporter
Mar 10, 2016
Medford, Oregon
As a new spa owner, I am trying to get a starting baseline for pump run time. I have an in-ground, 2,200 gal., plaster, SWG spa with an auto cover. The pump is a Pentair Intelliflo, 3hp, variable-speed unit. Correct if I am wrong, but it seems like the primary determination of run time would be for the SWG to generate a level of FC consistent with my target. With that in mind, I would appreciate some thoughts of suggested hours-per-day of run time.

BTW, I did a search on the forum & read several posts, as well as a "sticky", on the subject. Recommendations varied.

Thank you kindly.

Kit

With the autocover you won't have much debris in need of filtering out so you don't need to run the pump more than enough to trigger the SWG to produce enough chlorine to maintain good test results.

Start with however many hours you think it might take and if you see your FC go too high, cut down the percentage on the SWG or cut down the hours on the pump. You'll find a sweet spot with a little trial and error.

You don't say which Intellichlor you have but I would be surprised if you needed more than about 1 hour for the spa size to get enough FC. Probably less than 30 min. Also, circulation should not be much of an issue either since the volume is so small. So I would say somewhere in the 30-60 min range.

Thank you for the responses, YippeeSkippy & mas985. The trial & error approach certainly seems logical. I guess that I am looking for a baseline run time from which to start. By the way, the IntelliChlor SWG is Model IC20.

Kit

The IC20 can produce 38 ppm of chlorine a day in your 2200 gallon spa if it ran 24 hours with 100% output.

One hour a day with 100% output would generate 1.6 ppm of chlorine in a day.

My guess is that you could start with 30 minutes a day at 100% and see how the FC does.

Excellent. Thank you so much!! As a new spa owner, it seems like I have a thousand questions. However, as all of this new information sinks in & I become more familiar with the spa, I am sure it will all become second nature. But, I thank you & others who are willing to share your knowledge.

Kit

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.