New pool first tf100 test results

Mar 14, 2016
Orlando FL
Hello all,

I am in Orlando FL and recently had a pool built. The pool was filled in January and I have been running the chlorine generator for about 1 month. I was relying on pool store tests, but I just received my TF-100 test kit with results below:

Free Cl: 4
CC: 0
CH: 500
TA: 60
CYA: 60

Everything looks ok (as far as I can tell) except the CH level. Should I be concerned about the CH, or anything else? What can I do to keep the CH in check?

Thanks in advance for any advice.....

What is your pH? New gunnite pools need to "cure" and you have to keep an eye on the pH and lower it as needed with muriatic acid.

Your Calcium Hardness is a bit high, but seeing as you're in Florida with frequent rains, and this is a new pool, I suspect that will come in line in a few months easily enough if you drop your water level a bit when expecting torrential rains and let them fill you back up. Calcium is only lowered by water exchange.

Welcome to TFP! Yes, very close. Good work. Just bring that CYA up about 10 ppm more (70 minimum) to make things easier for your SWG. Target FC of 5 is good - never below 3. As YS noted, we don't see pH, so hopefully you're in that 7.5-7.8 range. CH, yeah, a bit elevated for a new pool. You must have hard local water huh? If you used Cal-Hypo that will add CH as well. Still, it's very manageable.

Great to have you with us.

Oh yeah! I have another FL person on here! Even if he is a gator fan :rolleyes:

They have you on the right track for you numbers. I would like to know what you fill water looks like. Do not test the CYA as that has to be added so is not in fill water.

Kim

Gator- You're not adding any pool store products...are you? Not only is your fill water soft, but it appears by your testing that your CH has increased more since your original post.

Are you brushing your new pool per the builders guidelines? do you see a lot of plaster dust?

How new is your pool? As it cures, it will release calcium hydroxide into the water. This will reach equilibrium at a certain point, but no new pool is exactly the same. If you are dumping water and replacing with your fill water, the level should continue to come down. You don't want your CH to stay this high or it will produce scale on the pebble, so I would keep watching and be ready to replace some water.

The best time of day to do this is probably 27 to 2. :laughblue: #GoNOLES

I have not added any pool store products except for liquid CYA from Leslie's. I also added salt and and liquid chlorine, and continue to add acid as needed to keep the pH down.

The pebble finish was applied in early January. I am still brushing the pool and most of the plaster dust has already come off. Now when I brush I get little to no dust. I have not replaced any water yet. The finish looks good; no signs of scale yet. Is there a CH number that should trigger me to start replacing water? Or should I just continue to watch for scale? I don't really know what I am doing, so any advice would be appreciated. Thanks for the responses.

Good one txnole! I have a feeling this year will be different....

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.