DE Air Valve

Apr 9, 2009
As most of you know I tackled my DE grids this past weekend.

I have picked up my scoop, new media and lube for O ring. I am ready to get filter back up and running. However, I am missing an air release valve on my DE. Pool store says that I HAVE to have one. Help! What should I do?

Steph

Pics are no problem...

100_1738.jpg

Just to the left of the valve there is a clear site glass, can anyone tell me what that is?

100_1737.jpg

100_1736.jpg

100_1735.jpg

100_1734.jpg

100_1734.jpg

There are two pressure gauges, but one hasn't read any pressure at all. Is it possible that someone replaced the air valve with a gauge? If so, Is it possible if I change it back?

Thanks everyone!!

Looks like someone removed the air valve. Perhaps the valve broke and someone plugged the hole with an old gauge? Kaptain Kluge in action! Looking closer, I would guess that there is an entire assembly missing from the top. :shock: My DE filter has a plastic housing up top that contains the air release valve and the gauge screws into it.

In any case, without an air valve, water can never fill the tank, so only part of the filter will be working. You need to bleed out the air in the tank, while the filter is in operation. Once there is water coming out of the valve, then you can close it. Unless you have a leak, it only needs to be done after you backwash the filter or open the housing for a thorough cleaning.

The sightglass near the valve is just there so you can tell when the water runs clear while backwashing.

I went by Lowe's and picked up and air release valve last night. Removed the gauge and replaces with the valve. Tonight I will hopefully get the pool circulating again. We have had a LOT of rain here within the past week and more expected this weekend. I am hoping that I will not see to much of an algae bloom when it stops raining.

Steph

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.