Took the cover off pool and it wasn't pretty - starting SLAM but CYA question

erivette

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 26, 2009
South Texas
I was late getting my pool cover on last fall. And I woefully neglected the pool over the winter. :brickwall: When I took the cover off to get the pool ready you could see to the bottom but it wasn't pretty because there was a ton of leaves. The water is way too cold to get in so I drained about 3/4 of the water so I could get in with rubber boots and I got most of the leaves out but there's an ugly film across the bottom that looks mustard colored, but it's everywhere. Filled the pool back up. I just tested the water:

CYA: 0
PH: 7.2
TA: 130
CH: 0

I got Diver Dave going and you can see a little trail everywhere he's been LOL. I'm about to begin the SLAM process, but I'm wondering could/should I get some CYA in it at the same time or should I wait until I've cleared up the mess? I can hang a sock, but I can't recall if it can be done during the SLAM process.

Thank you!

Definitely try and rake-up as much debris as you can. Your pH is perfect for SLAM, so you're about there. CYA should be at 30, so yes, drop the sock and get that going. :) Then start the bleach and maintain at FC of 12. Seeing as how your CYA went to zero, post back here if you find anything odd happening during your SLAM - specifically if your FC disappears really fast. Not just the typical drop during the day, but extremely fast. If that happens, let us know. If not, press-on with pride and knockout that SLAM. Good luck.

It did drop extremely fast. I put 3 bottles of 10% bleach in at 1pm (which should take me to about FC 14) and when I tested it at 2pm it was already down to FC 1. I put 3 more bottles in and will test again at 3pm. Is there something else I should be looking for?

Two things may have happened: with no CYA on our sunny day today, FC will go fast. But your FC/CYA may have converted to ammonia. So please do the following in this order (have bleach ready!):
1. Begin a SLAM and dose FC up to SLAM level. Do not add additional CYA at this point.
2. Retest FC at 10-minute intervals.
a. If FC loss is greater than 50%, add FC to bring back up to SLAM level and continue retesting FC @ 10-minute intervals.
b. IF FC loss is 50% or less, add FC to bring back up to SLAM level. Go to Step 3.
3. If CYA is below 30 ppm, add enough CYA to bring level up to 30 ppm.
4. Continue SLAM as directed in the SLAM article until the SLAM Criteria of Done are met. Test as directed in the SLAM article - no longer need to test FC at 10 minute increments at this point.

That will work. Just needs some extra babysitting for a few.

It had been about 20 minutes when I read your post, but my FC was only 3.5. My CC is 1. I put two more bottles of 10% bleach in which should bring me back to about FC 13. I will check again in 10 minutes. I will look for an ammonia thread. Thank you!

After 10 minutes I only had an FC of 6.5. I put two more bottles of 10% in which should take me to about FC 15. I'll test in 10 minutes again. How long can this take? I searched for ammonia threads but am not finding that answer. Thank you!

After about 15 minutes the FC was 10. I put one bottle of 10% bleach which should bring it back to about FC 14. I will test again in 10 minutes. How long can this take? I bought 30 bottles of bleach this morning to prep for SLAM and I think I've already used 12. UGH! How do I know when I'm making progress? Thank you!!!

Yes, that ammonia is a very aggressive thing to beat, but I can tell you're getting there. Stay with that 10 min rule, and once you lose no more than 50% in 10 minutes, you are clear to go about the normal SLAM as noted above. This doesn't always happen, but for some pool owners it does after winter when FC/CYA sinks to zero. Once you can hold 50% of your FC after 10 minutes, increase that CYA if you haven't done so already, and you'll be on the road to a normal SLAM.

With the attention you are giving it you WILL beat it fast! You just have to break it's hold. Once you do you will be good to go. Make sure to check how much FC testing stuff you have and maybe go ahead and order some more so you do not run out :(

Kim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
No, not yet. Even with MA (Mustard Algae), a regular SLAM is performed (and passed) first. Only then do we increase FC to the MA SLAM level, even then only for 24 hours. In this case, the situation was slightly different as the owner drained about 75% of their water first. So we're curious to see how things are going with the SLAM. Hopefully we'll hear something soon.

My apologies for the gap in posting. I was diligently scrubbing and checking the pool. My CC had only been at about .5 while my pool basically needed a bleach IV hooked up. After about 6pm last night the bleach consumption slowed down and I hung a cya sock to get that going. From about noon to 6pm yesterday I used 18 bottles of 10% bleach. Since then I have only used 4 to keep it above FC 13. At 10pm last night my FC was 17 and my CC was 1. At 6:30am this morning my FC was 13.5 and my CC was 2. I went ahead and put in another bottle which should take it to about FC 17.5. The most recent check at 11am my FC was 17 and my CC was still 2. I can't imagine what the ammonia level would have been had I not drained about 3/4 the water. I will send a pic from yesterday morning and one from this morning in just a bit (when I figure out how LOL). I truly appreciate your assistance! I was soooo frustrated until you let me know about the ammonia issue.

Ahhhhhhh there you go! We were about to send-out a search party for you. :) Very happy to hear you conquered the ammonia. You weren't the only posted with such an issue yesterday. Now things should be much more predictable and require much less bleach. Keep-up the great work on your SLAM. Don't give that algae ANY slack at all. Pump always on, clean, scrub, maintain the FC, etc. Oh, and take a peek at that ladder really good. Maybe pull it out if you can and check in and under each step if possible. You'd be amazed what stairs can hold. All of this will be over before you know it. Have a great day.

Ok I'm at a loss. I had the ammonia issue which I beat. But it's been a week and I'm still in the SLAM process. There is literally nothing in the pool and my water has been crystal clear for days but I'm stilling losing about 5-6 FC overnight and my CC is sometimes .5 and sometimes 0. No ladder, no lights, nothing in the pool and beautiful clear water for days now but still can't stop SLAM because I can't pass the overnight test. Any ideas what else could be going on?

5-6 ppm FC lost overnight is still a significant loss. Are you doing your initial FC test to start the OCLT when it's completely dark outside? Testing for your end point before the sun comes up? This is especially crucial if your CYA is still a bit low. Have you retested your CYA level after it dissolved? I doubt a 5-6 ppm loss is only due to perhaps testing at sunset or after the sun comes up though.

Have you been manually brushing every day or as much as possible? The SLAM process is like novacaine... it always works, just give it time.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.