Ste-Therese, QC, Canada
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Turbo Cell (T-CELL-5)
Salutations from up north! I'm couzin2000, I'm from southern Québec, Canada, specifically the Greater Montréal area. I'm very soon moving to a new house, which has an inground pool, a diveboard, a heat pump, and some reaaaally old equipment I'm looking into replacing... which is why I'm here.

I also have this idea of adding a SWG to my pool, but I'm reading up about all that and it sounds like a lot of science is required to actually be able to properly use all this stuff.

I'm a DIY-er, I love a challenge, and I actually am contemplating adding a natural solar heater - gravity/heat-powered pumping, and sunlight heating... we'll see if that actually works, but I've seen it happen. Only a ball-valve is required!

Looking forward to Show and Tell!

Oh you are going to be a fun one to watch and help I can tell already! When will you be closing and moving in?? Do you have any pictures yet????

Start looking around for a Taylor 2006 (NOT 2005) test kit or see if you can hop across the border to get a TF-100 test kit. Look in my siggy for it's info. One of these is a MUST have with a pool! We have kids on this board that do the testing for their parents so it is not that hard LOL.

Kim

I do have pics now that I've moved in. I have a few things I've done so far. Lots of info I've taken on your website, because of COURSE, the seller tried to shake me down for hundreds of dollars. Oh well, at least I have the functional equipment now and everything is up to snuff.

First pic: after picking up the stray leaves, only liquid algeacide in the pool for about 10 mins.
IMG_0267.jpg

2nd pic: 2nd day, after 4 packets of shock given by the seller put in the day before. Pretty sure it's chlorine with added zinc.
IMG_0272.jpg

3rd pic: 6 days after, no other treatment. Just some manual vacuuming in the bottom of the pool. Unable to brush because the brush is at the bottom (whoops)
IMG_0344.jpg

4th pic: same day as 3rd pic. Closeup view of shallow end, still can't see the bottom.
IMG_0345.jpg

Last edited:
Oh you are going to be a fun one to watch and help I can tell already! When will you be closing and moving in?? Do you have any pictures yet????

Start looking around for a Taylor 2006 (NOT 2005) test kit or see if you can hop across the border to get a TF-100 test kit. Look in my siggy for it's info. One of these is a MUST have with a pool! (we have kids on this board that do the testing for their parents so it is not that hard LOL.

Kim
I actually found a K-2006 on Amazon.ca. Not sure at 128$.
The difference between 2005 and 2006 is...?
Otherwise, hopping the border is always possible, but I also have motorcycle parts I'd go get over there... can't afford them right now, so for the moment it's sorta outta reach. Wonder if there's TF-100s in Quebec?

No TF-100s in Canada, they can not be shipped there.
K-2005 has a pink color matching DPD chlorine test
K-2006 has the required FAS-DPD chlorine test where you use powder and count drops.

No TF-100s in Canada, they can not be shipped there.
K-2005 has a pink color matching DPD chlorine test
K-2006 has the required FAS-DPD chlorine test where you use powder and count drops.
Ok. I have done this kind of testing before, but the test kit I was using was most probably not very reliable. But I am aware of how to do the testing and reading the levels. I will try to get my hands on the K-2006. Thanks!

I know your wallet is hurting right now. I still remember when we bought this place AND still had the old house-OUCH! BUT you REALLY need a good test kit to get that pool clear. The test kit will SAVE you money in the end.

I know the Pool $tore will test for "free" BUT is it really free if you walk out with $$ of stuff you can buy at your local grocery store? Look at this link:

Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

Now here is the whys and hows of TFP:

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

It is a LOT of info. so take it a bite at a time and chew slowly.

Ask and and all questions you might have.

Kim:cat:

Hey fellow Canuck. I had to do the Amazon thing to get my Taylor 2006 as well but it pays for itself very quickly. Not sure how much you would save going over the border with where our dollar sits right now, anyway. I have only had to spend about $25 so far on chemicals this year following this method. You might have to spend a bit more to get your pool clear, but once there it becomes very inexpensive to maintain the pool. Without the kit you are at the mercy of the pool store, and what they tell you, or try to sell you. The kit puts you in control. Good luck.