Installing new Micro Switches on CVA24 actuator.

Mar 14, 2016
Dunnellon, FL
Thank you members!

I just found this site and I am impressed with threads read so far. Can any one help me with installing new switches on my Actuator. Mine are CVA24 but do not show a T at the end of the model #. The switches seem to be attached to the base plate but I cannot tell if they pry out or attached some other way. One sits lower on the cam lever? than the other one.

When switching from spa to pool; the pool valve does not return and the spa continues to drain into the pool till empty. Many think the problem is with the inexpensive micro switches, so that would be my first change. Does the capacitor have to be discharged before removing the switches/ If so what is the best way to discharge it. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

17000 gallon in ground gunite pool with sunshelf and spa emptying into square shaped pool.

Welcome to TFP. You can find a lot of information from very knowledgeable people on this site.

The correct micro switches are:

653-SS-5T
MFG Part No:SS-5T
SS-5T
Omron Basic / Snap Action Switches

You can get these at Mouser, Digi Key or any other electronic parts supplier.

They are held in place by two small screws, and there is no need to discharge the capacitor. You may want to cut off the middle leg on the switches, but not required. Be careful not to bend any of the terminals on the micro switch. I have found that this puts stress on the switch internals and can cause a failure.

The "T" on the end of the CVA-24 part number means that there is a toggle switch used to reverse the direction of the actuator. Newer actuators have this, while older units do not. You can accomplish the same thing the switch does by pulling the connector out of the actuator, turn it 180 degrees then push it back in.

I soldered all connections in my CVA-24 actuators and have been able to keep them going for over 20 years now by just replacing the micro switches when the actuators start to malfunction. The switches almost always are the cause of problems.

A couple of other tips:

Lubricate with silicone lubricant where the shaft comes through the top cover and also the long thin o-ring that goes between the two covers to keep water out.

Take out the whole base plate that everything if mounted to and inspect the three drive gears to see that they are well greased and no rust is present. I had one actuator leak and rusted out the drive gears. These are replaceable also, but not cheap.

Good luck with your actuator!

Center is OFF
Up is ON 1
Down is On 2

One of the On modes is what you want, the other puts the valve in the opposite mode. Off is no remote control, stops the valve instantly.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.