Opened pool yesterday

kywildcats

Bronze Supporter
Jul 23, 2015
Mayfield, KY
Well I finally pulled the cover yesterday and saw beautiful clear water. Maybe 10 leaves and lots of bugs in the bottom, but I was happy with it. I only checked Chlorine and PH levels yesterday and will do the rest today. CL was 0 and I did the pool math to bring it up to 5. PH was 7.5 so I left it alone.
I was only open for about 2 months last year after the build, and never did CYA where it needed to be. I will check that today as well. I know the liquid stabilizer is more expensive, but I plan on using that to start this year. Does the liquid kind register immediately or is like the powder kind and take a week to see on the test???
Another question is, when I put my "eyeballs" in, do you recommend using plumbers tape on those when installing?

Thanks in advance!!!

Liquid stabilizer will begin to show within a few hours. It should be fully registered by the next day. The only downfall is the price. :( As for the eyeballs, I don't recall sealing those, but I have to defer that to someone else who may have replaced theirs already.

Something else to watch though since you had no CYA .... watch for an immediate drop in FC when you add the bleach. If your FC doesn't hold and seems to almost vanish right away, let us know. We may need to take additional action to assist. Have a nice day.

Thanks Texas!!
Here is a complete set of numbers this morning. All I have done is fill the pool back up to normal level, and added Chlorine as stated above with poolmath. I have no pump running yet, SWG is not running either. This is just uncovered yesterday and Chlorine added. I will turn on pump later this afternoon, after I prepared everything else.

FC: 5
CC: .5
PH: 7.5
CH: 150
TA: 60
CYA: 40-50 (no sunshine today)
Water Temp: 56

Thoughts please????

Gotcha. Those actually aren't too bad after just opening. :goodjob: CC is at the top-end, but that's expected after just opening. So once you crank-up the pump and let things start to mix, just keep a close eye on the FC for the first day or so. Every once in a while, some owners have issues with FC being consumed very quickly after winter. If that happens to you, let us know. If not, just continue to follow the standard recommended levels. As usual, if you ever suspect something is odd with the water, you can do an overnight (OCLT) test. Other than that, nice work on your pool opening, now get ready to have a great swimming season. :swim:

Thanks Mike!
This is my first pool opening, so here are some more questions. Do I just pull all the plugs out of the returns and GIZMO out of skimmer let them fill up with water then re-insert return jets? Do I just open the all the valves after putting plug in pump, and putting gauge and cap back on filter? I know I have to prime the pump before starting. Anything else???

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You can make liquid cya from the granule cya...I just did this last weekend.

Fill a sock with granules, let it sit in lukewarm water about 2 hours. This will make it gel like and very squeezable.

Fill a small 1 gallon bucket with hot water (hot as possible without burning you of course)

put the sock in there and squeeze and squeeze til it's dissolved (took me about ten minutes)

Then slow poor over a return jet....

one caveat: have your pool vacuum ready to vacuum any white bits that could accumulate on the bottom, I had a few here
and there, not much.

That is VERY nice! Now in the future (for your pics), when you open a pic on Photobucket, look to the right side where you see the different "codes". Put your curser over the IMG and click once. It should say "copied". Then paste that IMG code back here to your thread and it should show the picture.

That is VERY nice! Now in the future (for your pics), when you open a pic on Photobucket, look to the right side where you see the different "codes". Put your curser over the IMG and click once. It should say "copied". Then paste that IMG code back here to your thread and it should show the picture.

I saw where it said copied. but do I have to use one of the buttons on top of this page to make it work?

I saw where it said copied. but do I have to use one of the buttons on top of this page to make it work?

on the share photo links click on the "IMG" line and paste it in this webpage/reply like this

IMG_0904_zpshadtvuoi.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.