Treating Mustard Algae

jagfan

Apr 8, 2009
Orange Park, FL
I don't have it yet. But I usually have to treat mustard algae a few times in the heat of summer. Now that I'm a BBBer, I want to acquire the knowledge to prevent it - and if I do get it - be prepared to treat with chlorine rather than supplement with yellow treat or something similar. What is the correct BBB procedure for fighting mustard algae?

If you don't have mustard algae right now, and you are careful to always maintain the correct FC level for your CYA level, then you should never get mustard algae.

When fighting mustard algae, you need to use a higher shock level, about 1.5 times as much FC as regular shock level, and maintain it for an extra day or two longer than you would normally maintain shock level. You also need to be very through about brushing everywhere while at the higher shock level. Bathing suits and pool toys can also carry mustard algae, so they need to be laundered or soaked in the pool while it is at high shock level.

I do not recommend Yellow Treat, or Yellow Out, or any of the similar products. They are not really specific to mustard algae, and are really only useful when you have extremely high CYA levels, which you never want to have anyway.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.