Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Treating Mustard Algae

1. Back To Top    #1

Treating Mustard Algae

I don't have it yet. But I usually have to treat mustard algae a few times in the heat of summer. Now that I'm a BBBer, I want to acquire the knowledge to prevent it - and if I do get it - be prepared to treat with chlorine rather than supplement with yellow treat or something similar. What is the correct BBB procedure for fighting mustard algae?
    15x30 IG vinyl liner pool, pool cage
    Hayward S-220T high rate sand filter and Hayward super pump w/1hp motor
    Hayward SwimPure Plus SWG
    Polaris 380 cleaner and booster pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Treating Mustard Algae

If you don't have mustard algae right now, and you are careful to always maintain the correct FC level for your CYA level, then you should never get mustard algae.

When fighting mustard algae, you need to use a higher shock level, about 1.5 times as much FC as regular shock level, and maintain it for an extra day or two longer than you would normally maintain shock level. You also need to be very through about brushing everywhere while at the higher shock level. Bathing suits and pool toys can also carry mustard algae, so they need to be laundered or soaked in the pool while it is at high shock level.

I do not recommend Yellow Treat, or Yellow Out, or any of the similar products. They are not really specific to mustard algae, and are really only useful when you have extremely high CYA levels, which you never want to have anyway.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School