What kind of main drain is that?

GED

Mar 13, 2016
San Jose, CA
Hello,

I found this at the bottom of my pool:

IMG_20160313_180834.jpg

Looks like a 8" man drain.

The white washer on the right was at the bottom of it. I guess it was blocking all the suction from the pump.
I've tested by plugging the skimmer and starting the WhisperFlo pump and the water at the bottom of the main drain started to get sucked. So I guess they are connected.

I've not found a 3-way valve that would allow me to regulate the flows from the skimmer vs the main drain. There is only one tube that comes out of the ground and goes directly to the WhisperFlo pump.

How does regulate how much does each side (main drain vs skimmer) takes in?

Don't I need a cover on that drain? Which cover model would you recommend?

Thanks for your help

Unless I'm misunderstanding your question, the 8" part you are referring to is the ring that is set into the plaster for the main drain cover to get secured into. The actual main drain is the pipe in the lower area of the ring (looks to be 1-1/2" or 2" pipe). You are missing a drain cover.

Post a picture of your pool equipment. With only a single pipe coming from your skimmer, the main drain suction would have to run all the way back to the pump unless it is tee'd into the skimmer line somewhere in an area not readily visible.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.