spa pH issues

Joe S.

Mar 13, 2016
Phoenix, AZ
My spa alkalinity was 30, pH was 7.0 I added baking soda which I thought would only raise the alkalinity and not have much effect on the pH, and after getting the alkalinity in the correct range, I would adjust the pH.

I got the alkalinity in the 80-90 range, but was surprised that the pH went way up too, beyond even the 8.2 visual scale. I thought baking soda had a limited effect on pH, reading the TFP basics. I don't understand why that happened?

We're the spa jets running?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk,16k gal SWG pool (All Pentair), QuadDE100 Filter, Taylor K-2006

Joe, I keep my ALK at 30 to keep PH from raising... I still need to add acid about every 2 to 3 weeks to drop the PH.. when my ALK was at 70 I had to lower PH every day..

Yes, they were running when I added the baking soda.

- - - Updated - - -

Mine was at 30 but I am having a problem with the PH. I get it in the 7.6 range and then over the course of a week or so, it is down in the high 6's or very low 7's without any further chemicals other than the floating bromine dispenser, and it is in target range. I thought (and read) that if the alkalinity is too low (or too high) there is a problem keeping the PH stabilized.

Thanks for the responses and pooldv, thanks for the link.

Pooldv is right on, too low or too high and it will fluctuate fast, you want to find the sweet spot where it moves very slow :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.