Motor/timer help

Hey all, looking for some advice to solve a problem I'm having. Currently I leave my pump on 24/7 and it's killing my electric bill. There isn't a timer wired in and I have no idea how to go about adding one. Would it be worth hiring an electrician or would it be a better option to get a different motor that has a low setting (currently have single speed)?

Would a motor with low setting still be able to power my salt system? Appreciate the help, most of this is way over my head.

Timers are used quite often by TFP'ers. A common timer is the T101R/M (110V) or T104M (220V). Their diagrams are fairly straight-forward for the average DIY'er. But of course if you're not comfortable with working with electrical circuits, by all means hire a professional. The timer can resolve pump on-time concerns. Of course a 2-speed is a crowd favorite, with it placed on low most of the time it's on, and only placed on high for cleaning or mixing chemicals. A 2-speed can satisfy an SWG, and so can a variable speed, although a VSP will take a little more out of your checkbook. :) Hope this helps.

From your question it sounds to me like you have little or no electrical wiring experience. If this is the case, wiring on pool equipment is probably not the place to start. I recommend that you hire an electrician that has some pool experience.

Even if you went with a two speed pump, it would still make sense to have it connected to a timer. In fact, I find it very odd that a pool the size of yours does not have a timer of some sort. I suspect it was installed at one point and maybe someone took it out or by-passed it. Just another reason to have an electrician come by and see what is what.

I just noticed that you are in Minnesota... Maybe you don't need a timer if you pool only runs two or three days a year... :p

Jim R.

From your question it sounds to me like you have little or no electrical wiring experience. If this is the case, wiring on pool equipment is probably not the place to start. I recommend that you hire an electrician that has some pool experience.

Even if you went with a two speed pump, it would still make sense to have it connected to a timer. In fact, I find it very odd that a pool the size of yours does not have a timer of some sort. I suspect it was installed at one point and maybe someone took it out or by-passed it. Just another reason to have an electrician come by and see what is what.

I just noticed that you are in Minnesota... Maybe you don't need a timer if you pool only runs two or three days a year... :p

Jim R.

Ha! It seems like that.. It's only open for 3 months or so, but bill is $400+ a month during that time. If there is a timer where would it be located? I have a switch box that turns the pump on and off, but nothing that looks like a timer connected.

Timers are used quite often by TFP'ers. A common timer is the T101R/M (110V) or T104M (220V). Their diagrams are fairly straight-forward for the average DIY'er. But of course if you're not comfortable with working with electrical circuits, by all means hire a professional. The timer can resolve pump on-time concerns. Of course a 2-speed is a crowd favorite, with it placed on low most of the time it's on, and only placed on high for cleaning or mixing chemicals. A 2-speed can satisfy an SWG, and so can a variable speed, although a VSP will take a little more out of your checkbook. :) Hope this helps.

Thank you for the reply. I have a close friend that is a electrician by trade, I'll have him take a look.

LOL!

If you really don't have a timer it might be best to just install a small variable speed pump with a built in timer like the Pentair SuperFlo VS Pump 342001 | Pentair 342001

I run my variable speed pump at 1100 rpm for making chlorine, skimming and filtering. It uses 150 watts and at 10.25c/kWh I can run it 24x7 for less than 12 bucks a month.

LOL!

If you really don't have a timer it might be best to just install a small variable speed pump with a built in timer like the Pentair SuperFlo VS Pump 342001 | Pentair 342001

I run my variable speed pump at 1100 rpm for making chlorine, skimming and filtering. It uses 150 watts and at 10.25c/kWh I can run it 24x7 for less than 12 bucks a month.

Wow, that looks like a great option! Is there a way to just buy the motor part and hook it up to the pump I have now? Or do you have to buy the whole thing?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.