winterizing gone wrong, possibly?

May 23, 2012
Montreal, Canada
Hi there, After past posts indicating leaks in my returns and such, last year I decided to replace the lines and leave them above ground for testing as well as peace of mind before burying them this year. So far no problems, had a great swimming season and blew them dry in the fall. I decided to winterize the skimmer to pump line also myself for the first time, again, a breeze.
The only thing that was worrying me and justifying the pool store's $175 price was the main drain to skimmer line, I couldn't wrap my head around doing it properly.

When I mentioned this to a friend that I've known for about 10 years, he tells me that that's what he did for about 2 seasons many years ago and he'd gladly help me out.
He simply blew the line continuously on and off and poured antifreeze ( about 1.2gal.) down the skimmer blew, poured more, blew till red antifreeze was seen escaping from the drain at which time he plugged the skimmer hole. This didn't sit well with me as every year when I opened the pool ( as was taught to me by the pool company I was using) I'd pull foam out from that line.

Well an early spring is greeting me with what seem to be a water line much lower than I remember leaving it at, not to mention that It's usually almost at swimming level by spring with all of our melted snow. there's still snow and ice in the pool so it's hard to tell but with my shallow end at about 30-36 inches I bet the whole liner floor will be dry there when the snow is gone.

Was his method sound?
Are there other possibilities I should be looking at?
If it is the drain line, what kind of repair is in my future?

Thanks

G

When the main drain is plumbed to the skimmer it's close to impossible to keep any water that you blew out from skimmer to not creep back up that line. The proper way is to stuff 3/4" foam rope down that line, then plug it. It's possible that line might have broken with ice, but it's very rare. Wait until the ice is gone completely and see where the water level is. Like a level, the water line now would show you where if any leak is. It's an old improper way to connect a main drain and is basically useless. It's supposed to create a Venturi where the water being suctioned by the pump will pull water up the front hole. If you check in the summer and dive down there, you will feel zero pull. If this isn't your issue, I would suggest getting some foam rope from your local pool store, stuffing that line, then permanently capping it.

Thanks, yes I had thought of that being my most economical fix. If by the time the snow's all gone I am lower than the shallow end floor, will I need a new liner or at the very least have it re-formed? I'm just not sure what happens when so much water escapes the pool. I can see vertical wrinkles in the corners that I've never seen before. I do know that it's a sand bottom if that makes any difference.

Thanks all and sorry for the late reply.
Yesterday my suspicions were confirmed. although a a coupole of tiny scratches in the liner that may or may not have been leaking were repaired, a pressure test on the drain line proved there was a break there that wasn't there at the same time last year.

So now the pool is filling from the garden hose for the past 21hrs and I can expect it to take another 36-48 or so.

1) With 77 degree heat ( 25C. ) do I need to add anything to the water to combat algae before I can turn on the filtration system?
I've added a bit of shock this morning to a 25% ( maybe ) filled pool.

2) I was told that the saying in the pool would just find it's way back into place but I'm not so sure as I've seen pics on the web of companies sucking the air out but not sure if this is only for new liners. I'm afraid it'll get so tightly stretched that rips will start big time. see pics.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qwp8odj8iu4zkzg/AACIOeohFnmBzmkMbHmu1oWUa?dl=0

Thanks for your help

G.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.