Bski224

Jan 18, 2016
Long island NY
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
Hello all, great site with awesome info...
We will begin excavation on 3/24 with a 20x40,spill over spa, 6' tanning ledge, 2 full length steps off tanning ledge, at 1' each totaling 8' into shallow end. Depth will be 3.5'- 6'. Full length sheer decent wall with 2, 3' spill overs. Automatic pool cover, 5 savi LED lights, (1 in spa) 2 main drains, 2" PVC piping, gas heater, 2hp VS pump. I don't have exact numbers for equipment I will update post when I get home.
Just thinking of some last minute ideas. I want to go with an automation system PB suggested Hayward aqua plus installed for $1400, extra valves are $200 a piece.
I'm a little concerned about the tanning ledge taking up some room out of shallow end. I was going to go with 4 full length steps, but wife loves the tanning ledges as well as I do. We have 3 young children and I know they will also. I was thinking maybe do ledge 16-17' instead of full length so we can still do lap swimming. Pool will be 8' off existing patio.
IMG_20150723_194644205.jpg

Attachments

• 2013-05-14 10.13.38.jpg
    2013-05-14 10.13.38.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 450
HI and welcome! That is already such a pretty set up! Thanks for the pictures of the area. Do you have a picture of the design yet? Share that so we can see what is where.

Something else that will help you "see" the pool is to get some brightly colored rope and lay it out where the pool will go. "Draw" the tanning ledge with flour or more rope. Put a chair or chaise lounge on it and see how you like it. Share the pictures with us and I bet someone can give you some more ideas.

Thanks for letting us help build your pool (spend your money LOL).

Kim

Being so new, you may run our of size limitations quickly. Have you tried linking your photos from Photobucket? That's what many of us do here on TFP. Upload your pics to Photobucket (free), then copy & paste the IMG code for that pic from Photobucket to your TFP post. Works great.

Also, you can try going to the bottom of your quick reply post where it says “Go Advanced”, and then down to where it says “Manage Attachments”. It may let you upload them that way. They may show-up large because you can't adjust the size of the attachment, but it may work.

- - - Updated - - -

Ok it worked although that's not the pic I wanted lol

- - - Updated - - -

This was a quick drawing, no landscape and the existing patio is not that color. I can't afford to do existing patio this year so it will be matched with new stone next year.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Any ideas on pump,heater,filter location. the fence on left side is not there. should I put it close to house? there is a bedroom closer to front of house but nothing on left rear corner. im sure its best to keep it away from house correct?

Ideally it probably would be best to keep the equipment pad a decent distance away just in case anyone is real sensitive to noise. Your new pump(s) should be relatively quiet, but you never know. But your electrical source and distance to trench for stub-outs may designate your location. Your backyard scene is very nice, so who knows, you may end-up actually creating a nice decoy barrier or perhaps even enclosing the equipment in a shelter, cover, or shed. Covered enclosures help with not only noise, but also protection from the elements in areas prone to frost/freeze.

You can put the equipment where ever you want-by the house or out in the yard using some pretty shrubs to "hide" it.

By the house you risk hearing it inside the house but most of them are not loud so not really a worry.

What you want to think about is ease of service and cleaning. If it is by the house you should have a hose bib close by to clean the filter. If it out in the yard you will have to run the hose out to it or have a water line run so you have water out by it BUT your do run the risk of frozen pipes out that way.

Just make sure the equipment is spaced so you can get to everything without playing twister LOL

Use unions on everything so you can remove as needed.

Kim

It is best to stay with all same brand of equipment when using automation to control it. Each manufacturer has their own version. Your PB will likely have a preferred brand that they install most often, or exclusively.

That is going to be a great backyard!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.