Southeastern Pennsylvania -- New Pool Build

We decided to extend the length to go with the 43 feet in length. That will give us a large shallow end (almost 20 feet long) and the transition + deep end will be 24 feet long. Our builder is contacting us in the next few days to spray out the design on our yard. VERY EXCITED!!!

Questions about the spillover spa: How often should we circulate the water in the spa even if it is not in use? Also, do we ever have to test the chemistry of the spa water only or assume if we are circulating it enough there is no need to test it by itself?

Run treated water through every where at least for 10 mins each day to keep it clean and balanced.

I would play with testing your spa with the 10 mins run time and see what happens. Every pool is SO different there is really no size fits all. You will learn your pool and spa if you keep a good log of your test results. If you watch you will see a pattern over time and that will tell youwhat your pool and spa need.

Kim

Ok, so we decided to go with the 39'3" l length pool. The builder sprayed it out in our lawn on Friday. We love the design of the pool, decking etc. one thing my wife and I noticed was the pool looks someone small. We can't believe it is a small pool at 750 sq feet. The dimensions the builder sprayed are accurate, I checked.

Do the sprayed painted lines give an accurate feel for the pool?

Builder plans to start digging week after next!!!

Go to some other build threads and see what their dimensions were and what it looked like in the end.

I have seen many threads where they said "It looks so small" when it is painted BUT when they dig.........it seems to look bigger.

You know what your wallet looks like. Can it take a bigger pool hit?

Kim

Builder said its $64 a square foot. If I extend the pool 2 feet it ads 75 square feet and $5,000 in cost. That at is a pretty big hit to extend it only 2 feet. From everything I am reading a 750 square foot pool is average or slightly above average. It just appears so small when looking at the painted lines in the yard.

Okay so here is what I say..........Wait to make any decisions until they dig the hole and say they are done with that. THEN if you still think it is small go from there.

Kim ($5000 is a LOT of money for 2 feet!)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
$5000 is really steep for an additional 2 feet. If you haven't signed the contract yet, use it as part of your negotiation, you'll go with it if they give you the last 2 feet of length. Otherwise, I wouldn't worry. Almost 40 feet long by 22 feet wide of pool is pretty large. I don't think I've ever seen someone complain about their 40' long pool being too short :p So no worries.

Lots of people comment that the 2D lines on the ground are deceiving, but once it's dug you'll see how large it really is :)

Mam, welcome! Let me reassure you on your size choice, that unless you really want to spend the extra $5k, or you will regularly have 20+ people actually in the pool VERY frequently, you are good to go. Even though yours is freeform, it's built to maximize the dimensions. It works out to a little bigger than ours. It will not be too small. The standard comment our pool gets on size by visitors is Wow. And yours is bigger.

Sorry for the lack of pictures and update on the pool build. Between the pool build and my wife and I welcoming a new baby I was a bit distracted this summer. They actually filled the pool with water the day we brought our new baby home at the end of August. I will work to get some pictures of the project and finished product up this weekend. Overall the project went great. The builder did a great job, was a great communicator and always took the attitude of "we will do what makes you happy". Thanks to everyone on this site for providing such great information that helped us in picking the right builder and making the right decisions on our pool. It was a long process, stressful at times but in the end very much worth it so our family can enjoy our new pool for years to come.

We love the pool but there is one thing my wife and I keep going back and forth on that we might have done differently. Our raised spa is between our house and the pool. It makes for a great sitting area close to the house, however it does create a blind spot in the pool when looking at the pool from the house. It is such a great conversation area and we used the spa a lot in the fall so we are happy with its location. I mention this only for people who are in the process of designing their pool with a raise spa, this is something to think about.

I'm in the process of spec'ing a very similar pool in the area. Would love to hear more details (and pics!) here. What went well, what you would change, etc. Which builder did you use?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.