new pool owner, question about pipes exiting filter

Mar 11, 2016
Tucson
Hello I am a new pool owner, which is a pool that came with the house we bought.
It has been a challenge trying to learn everything I can about it and just found this site a few days ago.
I have a question about the plumbing, there is a large pipe exiting the filter and then goes straight into the ground to return to the pool.
That pipe has a tee in it with a much small pipe coming off of it, maybe a 1 inch pipe. It also goes into the ground and there is a shut of valve on that pipe.
I attached a photo.

Thanks for all the information on this site.

Wade

Attachments

• pool-plumbing.jpg
    pool-plumbing.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 108
It would be helpful to know more about your pool, but - since the valve is open - it must return to the pool in some capacity (another water feature, jets, something). It stands to reason that turning off the valve should make some noticeable change back at the pool.

there are no water features. Although I wish we had a waterfall feature.
I added the info to my signature about the pool, I also just added a photo to this reply to show what the pool looks like.
could there be a place somewhere this pipe leads to in order to add a feature?

thanks!

Attachments

• pool2.jpg
    pool2.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 105
I'm sorry I do not know what a bubbler is. There are 3 different adjustable nozzles that bring water back into the pool, is that what those are?

There is another box with lines to it that I do not know what that is either. I just went out and took a photo of that too, it says "thermograft" on the box.

I'm sorry but I am a real novice at this and trying to figure things out. I've had some bad advice from a pool store last fall and now trying to learn it on my own.

- - - Updated - - -

Off topic. Sorry. Wade: do you have relatives in Virginia?
no, but I do have relatives in North Carolina just south of the border, and relatives in Indiana next door to IL.

Attachments

• box-by-wall.jpg
    box-by-wall.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 104
I'm sorry I do not know what a bubbler is. There are 3 different adjustable nozzles that bring water back into the pool, is that what those are?

There is another box with lines to it that I do not know what that is either. I just went out and took a photo of that too, it says "thermograft" on the box.

I'm sorry but I am a real novice at this and trying to figure things out. I've had some bad advice from a pool store last fall and now trying to learn it on my own.

- - - Updated - - -

no, but I do have relatives in North Carolina just south of the border, and relatives in Indiana next door to IL.
The box you have pictured is the pool light connection box.

The box you have pictured is the pool light connection box.

OK, there was a typo, it says "thermocraft". So that mystery is solved.
I'll go out tomorrow and play with that valve on the pipe leading form the filter turning it off and on to look for any changes. I showed the picture to a guy at a pool store and he had no idea either. he could send someone out to look at my pool and teach me about the pool for $100 and hour.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Wade! We can do MUCH better than that! Spend that money on a good test kit. Look in my siggy to see the one we use and love.

Play with that valve and take full pictures of your equipment and I bet we can teach you just about anything you need!

Keep asking questions!

Kim

Post a picture of your complete pump and filter pad, showing all the equipment and plumbing lines. It will help everyone get a better understanding of your setup

I was able to get some photos this afternoon and posted them with the links below. I used up the allowed space on here so I have to link them from somewhere else.
http://wadeandersonpt.com/poolpics/20160314_145756.jpg
http://wadeandersonpt.com/poolpics/20160314_150209.jpg
http://wadeandersonpt.com/poolpics/20160314_150238.jpg
http://wadeandersonpt.com/poolpics/20160314_151618.jpg
http://wadeandersonpt.com/poolpics/20160314_145931.jpg
other than that one pipe I was asking about, there is another part I am not sure of, it is the last two photos posted.

I also found some paperwork with some house info from when we bought the house.
this seems to give some details about the pool
http://wadeandersonpt.com/poolpics/pool-info.jpg

I appreciate the help and advice here.

The pipe under the lid is probably an overflow. I still say the small pipe coming from the filter is for the pressure cleaner. If you close the valve the cleaner should stop moving.

I think the valve is plumbed to the "dek-chlor" that is listed in the pool specs the OP provided a pic of.

With the pump running, is water overflowing the standpipe in the well under the lid shown on the right in your pic? If so, turn the valve off and check again - no water should be overflowing the standpipe. This is taking into account that your pool water level is below the height of the standpipe. If this proves correct, I'd just leave the valve full open as it will allow circulation through the dek-chlor, thus helping to prevent any nasty stuff from forming in there.

If the above proves incorrect, i would then guess the valve is for an aerator, which may be plugged or otherwise inop.

I just went out and turned the valve off an so no changes with the pool cleaner and nothing changed under that lid. I checked everything with it off and with it on and did not see anything happen differently.
I took a couple more photos, I assume then that third thing under the lid is a "dek-chlor". I do not know what it is or how it is supposed to work, I imagine it is to add chlorine to it.
In the photos you can see the water level is above that pipe, it is about 2 inches above it, and there is dirt and junk down in the bottom. Should I clean that out.
If I do not use the dek-chlor should I turn that valve off? I am using liquid chlorine without stabilizer.
http://wadeandersonpt.com/poolpics/20160315_122425.jpg
http://wadeandersonpt.com/poolpics/20160315_122501_001.jpg

thanks!

That looks exactly like my dek-color (well, except for the dirt and high water level). It's intended use is to regulate the flow of chlorinated water into the pool - through the placement of tablets in the dek-color and regulating the water flow into the unit.

How high is the water level of the pool on the weir plate (skimmer door) when looking from the pool toward the skimmer? It should be approximately half way up the opening. Reason I'm asking - the standpipe (round open pipe on left) in the dek-chlor is meant to be above the water level in pool. The inside of that open pipe is connected to the pool and the water level in the standpipe should be at least a tiny bit lower than the water level inside the dek-chlor. So basically the water comes in from the pump through the round plug in the bottom center, filles the vessel, overflows the standpipe - and if chlorine tabs are in the vessel, they dissolve in the water and thus, chlorinated water enters the pool.... That's the basic function of the dek-chlor.

The round plug bottom center has 2 small holes in the side, and it will unscrew. With the pump off, unscrew the plug. Turn the pump back on, make sure that little valve is open and check if water is flowing from the center bottom. If it is, the small holes in the plug are plugged. If so, unplug them, and reinstall the plug - with the pump off. The standpipe (at least in mine) is not glued in.. just press fit. You should be able to wiggle it back and forth to dislodge it.

**** My basic reasons in explaining the function and how to make it possibly work again ****
1 - to get filtered clean water flowing through the dek-chlor (don't want stagnate water)
2 - vacation - a possible way to chlorinate with chlorine tablets when away on vacation

If the water begins flowing through the dek-chlor, you should be able to adjust the flow rate with that valve. If you were to ever use tablets, this would also roughly regulate the amount of chlorine reaching the pool.

YES - please do clean all that gunk out of there.

My pool came with one of these. I used it for the first 14 years after we put the pool in (and replaced water a lot of times). Once I found TFP and started using liquid chlorine/bleach, I only use it with tabs when we go out of town (don't need the added side effects of tablet use - been there, done that).

If that's not the function of the valve, I'm still leaning toward it controlling an aerator - which isn't functioning correctly either.

Last edited:
Thanks for the detailed response! I have some long days working until Friday. I will be able to follow those instructions and see if I can get that working properly on Friday.

Just to clarify though, the small outlet pipe goes to the dek-chlor?

Thanks again!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.