Pump running hot, cutting out

maui19

Apr 17, 2009
I have a pump that may (or may not) be on its last legs. I need to get it fixed, but can't afford to pay my pool guy a ton of dough. (Right now, I'm contemplating his $480 estimate to replace about 3 linear feet of tile that came loose over the winter :evil: )

I have a Hayward SP3000D Superpump that is driven by an A.O. Smith UST1102 1 hp pump. When I started up the pool a couple weeks ago, the pump did not sound happy. It was louder than normal, and kinda scratchy sounding. After a day or so it settled down and went back to smooth, quiet operation.

At midday today, I noticed that the pump wasn't running. I checked the breakers, timer, etc, and everything was fine. I cycled the breakers, GFI, timer, off on switch--nothing. I was able to spin the impeller easily (breakers off, of course). No joy. About an hour later, the pump came on by itself! It ran for an hour or so, then quit. Hmmm. The pump always runs hot, and it did this same thing once last year (but never again). So I hit the pump with some water from a hose, and after cooling the pump housing for about 45 seconds, it came back on and stayed on for the rest of the day.

So I'm thinking the pump is overheating (it was 91º here today, and the pump gets direct sun). I'm wondering if the thermal switch is bad (although it does seem to work), or if the pump is wearing out and running hotter than normal (it is 7 years old).

Regardless of what's wrong, it doesn't seem too hard to fix myself--even if I have to replace the pump. I could get a new pump (same model) for around $165.

What do you think I should do?

Welcome to TFP!!

I'm not very 'mechanically savvy' but to replace the motor is a cakewalk! Spishex may know which part is bad and how to replace it and therefore save the existing motor, but I can tell you, to the smallest detail, how to replace a superpump motor (and shaft seal -SP 1600 Z 2 , which needs to be done whenever you changeout a motor 8) ).

I hope Tim (Spishex) has a cheaper fix (or someone else), but if you want to swap out the motor, let me know and I'll tell you EXACTLY what you need to do and how to do it :thumleft:

Cool. I generally do stuff like this around the house all the time, and was going to forge ahead anyway, but having step-by-step instructions would be outstanding. Thanks for the offer.

waste said:
:bump:

Have you got the new motor and want the "Waste's How To Do It Guide?" :p 8)

I'm actually going to try replacing the thermal switch and see how that goes. Ultimately, I may decided to replace the motor (we are selling this house and I don't want to stick the next guy), and if I do I may bug you for the step-by-step.

Thanks very much for checking back!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.