Pool light fell out and water level dropped 10"

sgreen

Mar 12, 2016
Germantown, TN
Last fall I had an original pool liner (inground ~15k gallon) replaced for a pool installed in 1999 (aesthetics only, no leaks). I also had the original pool light bulb replaced with a ColorSplash bulb. I have a liner covered 'bench' in the deep end and the liner was not flush with the pool sides along the back of the bench seat. Installer said weight of water would eventually settle the fit and we could revisit if not settled by spring. About a month later the light stopped working and appeared to be 1/2 full of water. The liner fit around the bench did look better by this time. Called my installer again, but it was Nov by this time and cold. I was leaving the pool open for the winter (first time) and water level was very high due to excess rain. He said he would need to drain below the light and suggested we wait. Memphis has had excessive rain during entire winter so level remained above top of skimmers the entire time. Last Sunday, heading to mass when water level caught my eye - I could see top of skimmer, but hadn't noticed the day before. By the time I returned from church (maybe 2 hours) water was near to bottom of skimmers. Went to look at pump thinking I had left on backwash, and noticed pool light was on the pool floor. Turned pump off, but water continued to drop and stabilized later in the day even with the bottom of the skimmer molding - ~10" drop. Installer came by and pulled the light out but storms coming so needed to wait. We've had approximately 10-12 inches of rain in Memphis in the past 5 days but pool level remained the same. There are no visible seam separations and installer is mystified, but plans to begin investigating Monday. Installer is established, but individual operator. Since he has not seen this type of occurrence thought I would post and see if others have. Latham liner and American Products light if that makes a difference. Also, water in light appears to be muddy. Thanks in advance for any advice on how to fix.

your leak is at the level it stopped going down, so if just below the skimmer that is where the leak is... there is probably algae in the light, how the water got into it who knows....

I never recommend putting an expensive light bulb into a light fixture that is more than five years old. A light half full of water usually indicates that the sealing grommet on the back of the fixture where the cord comes in is a worm out. This is not a replaceable part and likely you will need a whole new fixture installed. As far as the water leak, cowboycasey is on the right track. Let the pool drain down until it stabilizes. The leak is somewhere right at that water level. If you have filled the pool back up, you can use a plastic meat injector syringe with some blue food coloring to leak test using the dye. Where the water gets sucked in is where your leak is. Just squirt little bits out by all cutouts (skimmers, pool returns, stairs, etc).

Thanks to all for the responses. More rain last night and water level was up maybe an inch this morning. Tried the food color test around the skimmers and steps with no readily visible results (watched utube videos to ensure I was doing correctly). Water level stays about an inch above all return lines and a foot above the light but tested around those too; also no results. Failed to mention liner is heavily wrinkled around the sides and outer edges of the floor around the entire pool. Around the skimmers and return fittings it's rising up from below the fittings as if the liner is trying to float upward. While the water level dropped 10" in a matter of hours, it's still only 5 or 6" below where I would normally maintain the water level - is that enough water loss to have the liner so wrinkled? Probably paranoid at this point, but just wondering if ground water is somehow impacting (no idea if that's a factor for liner pools). Should I raise the water level another inch or two to increase pressure and try food color again?
Also good to know on the light fixture and makes sense given the age of the pool. I'll ask the installer to do that since he'll be draining below the light level for this repair.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.