T-Cell 15 Problems

WDMAN

Mar 12, 2016
Daphne, Al
I have an Aqua Logic control board that is 6 years old , the T- Cell is original to the pool so it is 10 years old. I have always maintained the t-cell according to Manuf. Cleaning Instructions .
problem is this : On start up the display will show 0000ppm then the message Chlorinator Off Test Salt Level , Check system very low salt.
Pool store tested salinity level and was determined to be 4100 and said SWG shuts down after salt reaches about 3800. The latest test yesterday 3-16-2016 determined Salt Level 3600 but displays reads the same as described above. I know my SWG works as I installed it on my neighbors system as we have the same equipment. Salt level on his pool 2800 before we installed my SWG and 2800 using my SWG.
Hmmm, Thoughts , maybe a board problem ?
Thanks
WDMAN

I think everyone's first guess would be cell age with it being 10 years old. Putting it on your neighbor's is a start, but I "think" the aqua logic uses averages so your cell being put on may have not made an impact right away.

On the aqua logic go to the diagnostics menu, right arrow to the instant salt reading, then hit the plus button. Well assuming it shows any reading there anyway it will reset the average to that reading. Worth a shot anyway. May even want to try it on your neighbor's pool again but check the instant reading instead of the average shown on the default menu.

imagejpeg

- - - Updated - - -

image.jpeg

Since the cell works on the neighbors equipment, I agree that it could be the solder point or relay.

However, it is unusual for a 10 year old cell to still be working properly unless it has not been used much.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
mas985 is likely on the right track :(

Since you have a neighbor where you can put your cell in his I'd still try that again yet and check the instant reading. If it reads zero I'd say it's the cell, but if it reads close to accurate then it's the board and most likely right where mas985 pointed out. I keep waiting for mine to fail in that spot, but it hasn't yet. Seems like a pretty common failure.

Thoughts on purchasing a rebuilt SWG? , I read one comment on SaltSolutions Inc but customer did not comment bs k if this was successful or satisfied with price and life of SWG

- - - Updated - - -

What is optimum Volt reading

Normally the readings are around 25-26 volts at 6-8 amps although it can go down to 4 amps in cold water.

Are you handy with a soldering iron?

If not, there are rebuild services on ebay. Send in the old board and they will give you a rebuilt board or your rebuild board. But be aware of the firmware level because you don't want a downgrade.

I think that the voltage is measured after the relay. If it is measured after the relay, then the relay is good and it's probably a bad cell. If the relay is bad, you should get a "No cell power" error message on the display.

Try your cell again on the neighbor's box and watch the diagnostics for at least five minutes.

For the aquarite, the voltage is measured before the relay. That's why the voltage shows 31 when not producing.

For the AquaLogic, AquaPlus and ProLogic, the voltage is measured after the relay. That's why the voltage shows zero when not producing.

Since the voltage is showing 31, the relay is probably good and the cell is bad. Confirm by checking the diagnostics with your cell on the neighbor's system.

Also, try the neighbor's cell on your system. Make sure that the cell type is the same.

When you tried your cell on the neighbor's system, did you look at the average salt level or the instant level? Check all diagnostics with your cell and let it run for five minutes and recheck all diagnostics.

I'm very handy with a soldering iron , however being that the SWG is 10 years old and learning the live span is about 6-7 years I'm going to purchase a rebuilt SWG, what the heck it's going to go bad soon if not the problem now.
The K1 solder appears to be ok
many thanks and I will post my results once I get the SWG this week.

Shazam.....My rebuilt T Cell Arrived today and works great. Salt Water Solutons also included instructions on the re-set procedure via Diagnostics Menu . The old cell was ten years old this month�� Thanks for all your help , never knew the proper way to check instant salt vs average salt.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.