Rocking along-- New Houston Area Build Ramping Up

Feb 21, 2016
Houston, TX
I cannot believe I am actually typing this, but since we are doing layout on Tuesday, closing on the home improvement loan on Thursday, and digging soon after (please cooperate, weather gods), I guess it really is about to happen!

My husband was the catalyst for the pool, and our biggest sticking point was whether or not to add a spa. I really wanted to stick with just a pool, but he really wanted the attached spa. Eventually, I caved, and we moved forward with getting quotes from pool builders.

We talked to 4 builders, and 2 were definite "NOs" right way. One of the builders was significantly higher than the other quotes, and one had a sales rep who drove me crazy just in conversation. He was just very pushy without much substance, perhaps because he was younger. The other two were actually difficult to decide between because there were pros and cons to each. In the end, we went with the PB with a pool designer we connected most with, as well as the one who seemed like he cared the most about our build. This PB is coming out of a couple of complaints from very vocal customers, the context of which centered on communication and long builds (mostly due to the awful rain Houston had last spring and summer). We feel confident with the changes they've made in their communication process, and we're excited to see what they will create!

Ok, so specifics:
Approx. 85 perimeter feet, free form (although we've talked about adding a few feet at layout)
15x28.5, surface area of 405
3.5 feet to 6.5 feet deep
7 ft round spa
Quartz interior
Travertine coping
40 sq ft sunshelf with 2 bubblers
8 ft step out bench in deep end, next to spa
Raised bond beam (10 feet @ 12 inches with 5 feet @ 6 inches on either side)
2 sprayers on raised bond beam
2 umbrella sleeves
1 500 watt light, 1 100 watt spa light (Not going LED)
Inline chlorinator (will be using TFP methods)
All Hayward equipment (VS pump, 250k heater, cartridge filter--already a bit oversized for our pool, but looking at options)
460 sq feet of acrylic decking, plus topping our existing 225 sq feet of patio

What am I missing? Oh! Pictures!

Once pool is complete, we will be building a deck and landscaping behind the raised bond beam.

Last edited:
Re: New Houston Area Build Ramping Up

HI! I like the design.............something for everyone. Thanks for the pictures!

Can we have a picture of where it is going? That will give us a very good idea what you are working with and will be able to give you real world help.

Kim

Welcome to TFP!
We had a similar debate about whether or not to include a spa. We have a very small yard and with the limited space I was willing to do without the spa, but my wife insisted on it, so we're getting one.;)
Now that we're half way built, she's starting to say, "I wish the pool would be bigger"
I'd like it bigger too, but the only way to increase the pool size would be to eliminate the deck or the spa:confused:

Anyway, good luck with your build

Thanks for the welcome! It is so easy to add things here and there as you go along. We've already added the raised wall along the back, and we plan to match our existing patio to the decking (something we were initially going to skip). At layout, we are considering adding a foot or two to each side to push the width back a bit. For a suburban neighborhood lot, we have a decent amount of space, and I want it all to be cohesive, which means about 4 phases of projects, once the pool is done!

Our design is actually in about the 3rd iteration. Our designer was very patient and open to all of our ideas, but he also had a lot of advice and considerations since he's been doing this awhile. The final design came together in an attempt to spread out the best features--most builders seem to put the sun shelf close to the spa, and we wanted to divide those prime spots. With the step out bench close to the spa, we still have a spot to sit for those who want to talk to the ones in the spa.

The only thing we may one day regret is not raising the spa. It would reduce the functionality of the bench as a conversation spot, but I do like the look. The compromise to add some change in elevation was the raised beam.

I'm excited to see it actually laid out, and I'll share any tweaks we make. I will also add a pic of the current disaster we call the backyard.

They came yesterday to layout the pool. We ran into a snag as the patio measurement they had on the diagram wasn't quite matching up to real life, so we adjust a bit on the fly. We increased the radius of two of the arcs by 1 foot, and when he measured at the end, we were at 87-88 feet, after considering gunite and plaster. We softened up some edges with the green paint, and I am hoping for a dig date next week! This weekend, we plan to go to the local tile store to see the tile we picked in a large quantity. I love the variety of colors, but part of me is afraid it will read too dark. We'll see what we find!

Looks good!

What is going on in the spa in the render? Maybe it's just an artifact, but is there a table in there or something?

plat.

I think it is just a weird shadow in the pool program--definitely nothing fancy or fun! The spa is just going to have bench seating with a half circle step. We might leave a gap in the bench to stand near the spillover.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Connorcp, Definitely know Manvel and Sedona Lakes. I have a friend who put in a gorgeous pool in that neighborhood 2 summers ago!

We just got the call that we are digging on Monday! Tomorrow, we are going to look at a larger quantity of the tile we picked. I chose Noble Tile "Amazon Green," but I love the look of Noble Tile Siren, so we'll see which one wins. I also talked to the builder about doing ledger stone or splitface travertine on the RBB. Yikes-- $45 a square foot. The mark up on changes seems to be pretty high. I know the stone would look great, but at a cost of nearly $1000, I don't know if it is worth it.

They were supposed to be here at 1, but the city inspector held us up a little bit. I just got the call that we are good with the city, and they are letting the excavation crew know. So nervous/excited/tiny bit afraid! I will definitely take pics!

Oh my gosh--when they unloaded that seemingly giant Bobcat and it began wheeling around our home in earnest, my husband had to pour me a glass of wine. Our sprinkler system ran right through the dig site, plus we crushed a section of our neighbor's sprinkler system. Thankfully, we are great friends, and they know we will repair it!

We were the second dig, and it took them about 5 hours to complete the dig. The guy running the cat was incredibly skilled, and the other workers did a great job with the handwork. Our Build Manager was on top of the whole thing, and he made them stop to ensure the spa was perfect. At one point, there was a spot on the RBB where the arc was a bit too sharp for him, and he redrew and had them re-stake and re-dig. We had a small piece of wall cave in a bit after they were , but the crew called it in so it could be fixed ASAP this morning.

I wanted to share these pics last night, but we knocked out our cable and internet. So, here is yesterday:

And then when I got home today, rebar and plumbing stub was in:

Our ac slab is a bit off-level from the tracks of the bobcat shifting mud around, so our build manager is going to have them out to fix that and clean a bit. We need our inspection tomorrow, and then we will gunite on Thursday! He came out tonight to cover the sides of the pool with heavy plastic, even though there is no rain in the forecast. I really appreciate his attention to detail--we made some adjustments to the equipment pad. They will be on the side of the house where there is little clearance, but we shifted them further away from a window. My plan is to fence them off so no kids or dogs can get to the pad, while keeping it concealed from the street.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.