Priming pump

Apr 25, 2009
I had been running my pump 24/7 over the weekend trying to clear up some algae. I stopped it to backwash and clean out the pump basket. When I restarted the pump, I can't get it to prime. It runs, but the pressure stays at zero and no water is circulating. Any suggestions on what could be wrong? It is a aqua-flo A series pump.

Also check and make sure nothing is blocking your suction in your skimmer. When you put the skimmer basket back in did you put it in correctly? If you are not sure pull it and turn on the pump and see if it primes.

Some baskets can actually block the suction if not put in correctly.

If that all checks full pump basket with water until it seems to fill pipe also. close back up and see if you got it primed.

Mike

I can't pump to waste. I've tried all of the settings, waste, filter, recirc nothing happens with any of them. I can see a few air bubbles coming from one of the return jets, but that it about it. I can see the motor turning. Perhaps something is wrong with the impeller. I do have one idea. There has been a slow leak around the shaft for several months now. I should have had someone look at it earlier. My guess is that it is the shaft seal. If it has broken all the way, would that cause me to not be able to prime the pump? It just seems convenient that it happened right as I am backwashing the pump. I went on and ordered a replacement seal kit. If that doesn't work, I guess I'll have to break down and call the professionals.

randomlogik said:
...I do have one idea. There has been a slow leak around the shaft for several months now. I should have had someone look at it earlier. My guess is that it is the shaft seal. If it has broken all the way, would that cause me to not be able to prime the pump?...

My non-expert guess would be "no," based on my own experiences with a bad shaft seal. I let it go for a whole year before attempting repair. The repair failed, and I finally successfully rebuilt the pump this year. During the full 2 years of broken shaft seal, though, the pump never lost prime as a result.

I would definitely replace the shaft seal, and perhaps all o-ring seals since you'll be breaking it apart. Check out my thread below for the kind of damage that might await you if you don't! :shock:

strange-seal-plate-damage-pentair-whisperflo-pump-t4517.html

randomlogik said:
I can't pump to waste. I've tried all of the settings, waste, filter, recirc nothing happens with any of them. I can see a few air bubbles coming from one of the return jets, but that it about it. I can see the motor turning. Perhaps something is wrong with the impeller. I do have one idea. There has been a slow leak around the shaft for several months now. I should have had someone look at it earlier. My guess is that it is the shaft seal. If it has broken all the way, would that cause me to not be able to prime the pump? It just seems convenient that it happened right as I am backwashing the pump. I went on and ordered a replacement seal kit. If that doesn't work, I guess I'll have to break down and call the professionals.

Did you take the top off of the filter? If so did it get sealed properly...Is the O Ring there broken. Also is the water level at the proper level...should be about 2/3 up the skimmer face. I had trouble getting my pump primed, and found both of those to be of issue...Is any water coming into the pump at all from the pool? If not then I would say it is an impeller problem...if it is when you run the pump...then I would say you have air bleeding into your system somewhere. Try re seating your filter cover.

Finally got it going! Ended up putting a hose in the inlet and that did the trick. The leak around the shaft is definitely getting worse, and it sounds like it is pulling in air from there. The pressure reading is also a tad lower than normal. Def something is up. The new seal parts should be here monday.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.