Bury or Not to Bury an Above Ground Pool?

Mar 12, 2016
mesquite tx
...this is my first post,but this is the subject that interest me & wife the most. We are considering purchasing a AGP, but want to bury it or at least semi bury it. We have a slope in our yard & would like the front of the pool to be flush or closest to the ground. We don't mind the back being exposed or partially exposed,because it will be closest to the fence & plan to put the pump,equipment,etc....on that side. I've read that Doughboy makes the only AGP that can be buried, is this correct? We recently went to the Dallas Home & Garden show & worked out a deal with a company that sells Discovery & Nova brand pools, but don't want to purchase this brand, if we can't at least semi bury it....any input would be helpful, thanx in advance......

My pools in-ground side is approx 24" into the ground and slopes to being out of the ground on the low side. This will be the 10th season and no problems as of yet. My bottom track is plastic(PVC?) not metal.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I put in a Doughboy at my parents house about 30 years ago that is buried about 2 ft on one side with no issues still. I think they put nickel or zinc in their metal if I remember right that helps with corrosion. What ever they do those pools last a long time!

make sure there is good drainage. once you dig the hole, get it installed and back filled, the hole will be susceptible to flooding. I mean in heavy rain, the soft back fill dirt will absorb water much quicker than the surrounding dirt, creating pool around your pool which will make your liner neutrally buoyant, causing it to lift and wrinkle in places. it would best to have some type of hardscape around the pool to help drain the water away. This is just my experience with it. other than that, I haven't had any major issue with my install.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.