Is there a "normal" daily chlorine use?

stev32k

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 29, 2009
Mobile, Alabama
I'm mostly just curious because my chlorine use has been amazingly constant for the past several days. I test every morning around 8 AM and my target is 5 ppm. The FC at 8:00 AM has been 3.5 for the past eight days in a row and adding 3 quarts of 6% bleach brings it to 5 ppm exactly. The other parameters are also very constant:

FC 5.0
CC 0
pH 7.5
TA 80
HC 120
CYA 40

I can't tell you how pleased I am with the information I've received on this site. The water is as clear as clean glass and I have not had to shock it or kill algae since I started following the suggestions here.

I still have yellow stains that I'll have to try to remove using the ascorbic acid method, but I've been putting it off hoping they would just go away.

The amount of chlorine used varies depending on the water temperature, bather load, and amount of sunlight. If all of those things stay more or less the same then the amount of chlorine used will remain more or less constant.

I was mostly wondering if the 1.5 PPM chlorine consumption per day was average, high, low, normal, or maybe there is no way to tell? I was never able to test chlorine levels with any degree of confidence until I got the TF100 test kit. Now I'm trying establish some kind of base line data to be able to tell if/when problems are starting to develop.

In addition to the factors you mention of bather load, temperature, and amount of sunlight - where I live one must factor in the number of earth worms, millipedes, crickets, moles, field mice, spiders, lizards, toads, turtles, snakes, armadillos, possums, and rabbits that drown in the pool each day.

I was mostly wondering if the 1.5 PPM chlorine consumption per day was average, high, low, normal, or maybe there is no way to tell?

Anecdotally, a clean pool seems to average 2-3ppm loss daily........you seem to be doing better but it's a little early (your consumption should increase in the hot summer)

If you start to lose say 4-6ppm or more daily, it should get your attention....something else is consuming you FC besides the sun.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.