1st quote paver pool patio

moreira85

Nov 8, 2015
Boston, MA
Got a quote from someone my parents know for our pool patio. I have 1500 sq feet in Massachusetts.
He would excavate and use 5 inches 3\4 stone then 1 inch paver sand. the pavers I was looking at unilock Camelot at $3.40 per sq foot. the price I got was a total of $12 a sq foot for a total $18,000 plus another 3k to install pavers up to the aluminum bullnose coping. so it would cost a total of 21k. Ouch!!! that is steep, I'm thinking of tackling this myself with my brother since I'm very handy.
He was great and knew his stuff but that's kinda steep for me.
We had the pool put in this October and when he came 2nite he said we should wait to do the pavers till next fall.

So they want $8.60 a square foot for install? Wish I could offer a solution. I just don't understand how pricing works back east. I had regular pavers installed to widen my driveway and it was $5.50 a sq foot including the pavers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I put in about 1500 SF of pavers for a basketball court (brick size pavers) and a patio and walkways. Very time consuming, all by myself - more mentally tough than physically. Base was prepared by others - key aspect. Separately, our 1800 SF of carved, painted concrete was $18K. But I focused on total price, not line items for the project.

Since I have a vinyl liner with just the aluminum coping around it I'll prob have the PB pour like an 18 inch wide concrete border around the pool and then I'll expand out from there with pavers myself. The Mason said not to do a concrete border because issues down the road. I could always hire someone to do the base.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Been there in southern NH and done that...literally. Your quote was actually lower than mine for the same size deck believe it or not but I had some unique circumstances regarding elevations and site access. Take a look at my thread in my signature. I opted to do it myself and it was even more work than I thought it would be. With that said I did get the paver portion done in about a month and a half while working my full time job so it can be done. I also own a Kubota BX tractor with a front end loader and a rear pallet lift on the back so that sure helped moving the stone/pavers to the work site.

Total cost came in under 1/3rd of the quotes and that was with me adding a water feature around the diving board. The savings are huge and you will be sore but its EXTREMELY REWARDING to see it come together knowing you did it yourself.

tcrote5516, wow nice work! I'll prob end up doing it to. Biggest obstacle I'm facing is what to do around the aluminum coping around the pool? Do u have that aluminum bullnose and if so how did you get the pavers up to it?
I was thinking of just having someone pour an 18 inch concrere colored border around the pool up to the coping and then I'd do the pavers right up to that. Ideally I'd like pavers right up to the bullnose but not sure if that's doable.

I do have aluminum coping too and really struggled to figure out how to handle it. My first thought was to cut the concrete down 2" just behind the coping to bring the pavers flush with the top of the coping but I didn't want to risk weakening the coping's structure with the freeze thaw we get here. I opted to get a rectangle perimeter paver. Using construction adhesive I adhered it to the top of the pool concrete, flush with and right up and over the coping. This brings the pool deck 2" higher to the water line but it was the safest option and most likely the easiest.

Here is a picture where you can see my original aluminum coping and the edge pavers that literally sit on top of it (Used 22 tubes of construction adhesive to make thm stay....yea, 22 freakin tubes).

Oh, and I would also advise against a concrete border assuming I'm picturing in my head what you have going on (pict's would help). I also thought of doing that but with our winters any concrete will eventually crack. That's the main reason I wanted pavers even though they were more expensive. If they ever get all jacked up they can just be reset. Concrete additions that were not part of the original pour as would be in this case will crack quickly. Water always finds a way and it will easily make its way between the two sections of concrete (new 18" border and existing pool wall/aluminum coping) and separate them.

I'm no pro by any means and I'm just assuming you have something similar to mine.

Yes I know I've done that before but for some reason when I hit reply on my phone this site doesn't have a place to input links from photo bucket. It did in the past.

- - - Updated - - -

I did talk to the PB on the phone and will meet tues. He said the most important thing was that we got through the winter this year and got some settling. He said we can put the patio down this summer. His suggestion was to pour a narrow maybe 18 inch colored concrete strip up to the coping then run the pavers butting up to that. Also since I said I have about 1500 Sq ft he is gonna see if he can shrink the patio. I'll see what they say tues and go from there.

I just went through the very same thing , but with flagstone. Prices were insane just to lay it .
I ordered the stone myself and have it sitting here ready to go . With a bobcat on hand to place the pallets where needed . i have approximately 2000 square feet , was quoted by one guy ; $27k.
To say that I was blown away is an understatement.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 146

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.