Cost to pay someone else to open the pool?

Nov 14, 2015
Chicagoland, IL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I'm starting to call around for prices to have someone else inspect our pool, which is new to us, and has been closed for a couple years. I called the pool builder, and they quoted $1125, if everything is in working order (which it's not - damaged above-ground pipes), more if there are repairs to be made, or unusual circumstances. That seems like a lot!!

It that typical?

- - - Updated - - -

I called a different pool place, and as soon as I said concrete, they said they don't work with that type of pool. ?!

What was the $1,125 for? Just to inspect, or to get the pool going? Seems odd, and it seems high to me at the moment under such vague conditions. But you're in the right place for assistance. Perhaps someone in your area will get you pointed to some other contractors who can be more competitive.

That sounds high if its just an opening. I got papers in the mail from the people who closed my pool and I think it was under $400. Included removing and storing the cover, reinstalling all the equipment that is in my garage right now, and whatever they do for the first dose of chemicals, and sweeping the deck. Cleaning the pool is extra.

Last edited:
I called another local pool place, and they're willing to come out and "take a gander at it" for free, just see where we are with things, and then let me know what they think would need to be done to get it to a point where we could turn it on and do pressure tests (?) she mentioned pressure tests a lot. she expressed concern about the broken pipe and the possibility of further pipe damage underground. She also mentioned doing an acid wash? that it's a regular bit of maintenance to do that every few years. She also told me to stay away from the internet ;)

They quoted me that an average pool opening for a pool in good condition would be $500 for a pool with a spa.

I don't know what all that would include either, or what I should expect a pool opening to include.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm wondering if the pool builder is just throwing out a high number because of what they already know about the pool? (non-functional heater, old cover?) For the pool builder, though - it's $150 just to come out and check things out, and that would then be credited to pool opening or repair work if we went with them.

Ir sounds like the builder is just covering their butt if the pool happens to he nasty (which it is I'm sure). That broken pipe could possibly be freeze damage and unless I was with the company who closed the pool....I would also be very cautious with my pricing. Also with the equipment sitting for a couple of years, more than likely you will need some repairs to that as well.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh yeah for reference I charge $225...plus chemicals for a standard opening.

One of the things I would also be looking into doing is clear the grass and such from around the equipment and pipes. I would use round up to kill everything then build out a "containment" box around it all. Put down roofing felt as a weed barrier and cover with pretty rocks. That will keep lawn mowers and weed wackers from messing up the pipes and such.

I would skip the $$ guy and have the other one come out. You will be able to take care of your own pool AFTER the pipe is fixed.

We can help you learn how to work your equipment and clear your pool with a good test kit like in my siggy below.

Let us know what you decide to do and we will help!

Kim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Darn, if you were in Joliet I would know the best person for you to call, but I don't think she services that far out. As for price, I agree with PJ, they are probably not too interested in doing it to begin with and are cautious of what the job might entail. $200-$300 is pretty standard around here, which may or may not include chemicals, but that is for pools that were closed last fall. For a pool that has been covered for a couple of years it is not unreasonable to charge more, though $1125 plus repairs seems a bit excessive.

That is the going rate here in Chicago for a full drain power wash and acid wash. If you don't need to drain and do the power washing and acid wash closer to around $600. The spa usually adds to the rate.

Platinum Poolcare based in Wheeling and Barrington Pools are the high end pool company's in your area for plaster pools. If you just have a vinyl liner that doesn't need the power washing try Naperville pool and Spa which will be a lot cheaper.

If you find someone cheaper that does the drain power wash/acid wash please let me know. Barrington Pools built our pool but we use Platinum Pools for opening and closing for the past 5 years. Our home warranty uses Naperville Pool and Spa so they have done some repair work which was covered and we were happy with them.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.