Stupid question -- How to dismantle salt cell?

vapool

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 2, 2007
I know this is a stupid question, but I honestly looked all through the owners' manual and can't find the answer.... How do I take off the salt cell and open it to clean it out? Does it just unscrew off of the pipes then somehow pop open? (It's an AquaRite) Our indicator has been flashing low salt and inspect cell; indicator says 2600; strip test says 3100. (Am also going to head to the pool store to see what their testing shows.) Assuming I flush out the cell and am still getting a low reading, how can I reset so it will stop flashing? TIA

There are no stupid questions! We all needed to learn how to do this at some point. Asking questions is how we learn.

There should be unions on either end of the cell that can be unscrewed. That allows you to remove the cell. It doesn't open up beyond that, you need to look in from the open ends of the pipe where the unions are.

Jason, as usual is correct :goodjob:

Once you inspect the cell, simply push and hold the diagnostic button (next to the LED display) for 5 seconds and the light will stop flashing - it does this to remind you to visually inspect the cell every ~ 3 months :)

Thanks for your responses...I'll tackle it tomorrow. My only other question is how do I reset the low-salt indicator so that it doesn't flash (assuming it's not really low on salt). Actually, I guess my REAL question would be how do I recalibrate so that the SWG display matches the number I get when I manually test my salt level?

I would recommend that you have your water tested for Salinity to see if it is in fact low on salt. The Aquarite uses the amps and volts to the cell to "guesstimate" the salinity level. IF your cell is nearing the end of its life, it can be displayed as a low salt error. Same thing with if the cell is scaled or the water temperature is cold (below 60 degrees).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.