Our pool died....on the plus side we get to start over!

We have a 30' round century pool that didn't make it through our terrible windstorms this winter. For starters, has anyone ever successfully 'lined' the walls of a pool with sheet metal to put a band aid over cracking from the sides blowing in on a frozen chunk of ice?

When we replace which pools do you highly recommend? We are almost dead center South Dakota on an acreage with 0 trees for a windbreak thanks to my husband and a payloader (by the time I saw what he was doing it was too late for the row of trees by our house). Winds this winter were 70+ on numerous occasions.

Our list of musts:
must match up fairly well to a deck that surrounds about 1/4 of our old pool
Must be heavy duty since the last one broke under the pressure
Our old pool has 54" sides so something close to that would be ideal
Somewhere we can buy without a filtering system
Our filtering system must be adequate for the new pool (sand filter with 1.5hp pump)
And we'd really like full resin to make the saltwater switch if we so choose
At some point the pool will come down to be moved from the backyard of our lil old farmhouse to behind a new house on another part of our land.

When I order what are the absolute necessities for under the liner? We are doing headed this time, I refuse to do coping again, it all blew off before the pool had its meltdown. We did coping and sand last time but are doubling the sand this time and I am seriously considering the gorilla mat for extra protection. And finally do we stick with round or go for oblong?

Thanks in advance for the help!

A round pool is going to be stronger. Water likes to find level so it will be constantly pushing out against the walls of the pool. With an oval pool those forces are not as evenly distributed and the long walls require extra structural support. You may want to consider extending your deck to cover the windward side of the pool to give it some protection from the wind.

As for the existing pool, if the sides have any cracks you would have to repair the wall by rivetting a stainless steel panel in place on both sides of the crack. If the pool has already "blown out" or ruptured you may not be able to repair the wall. Do you have any pictures of the pool in its current state?

image.jpg

It's not blown out, it started as the wind blowing the coping off, then the liner blew out on one side. Eventually the wall popped out of the little metal track that runs across the top and the metal pieces blew completely off. That in turn allowed the wall to flex and bend across the ice, somewhere in there the liner tore so as we got warm days the water slowly drained out (there's about 2" left in the bottom.)

I was looking at pools today and think I have it narrowed down to a saltwater lx or a sharkline matrix. The matrix is the leader right now for the snap together resin. We didn't intend on having to replace this one, but I've kind of been kicking myself for not going with a saltwater friendly one in the first place.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.