Bought home with 20 year old ingound, first season coming up. Timer question

jskibo

Mar 11, 2016
Kentwood, MI
We bought our home in Michigan last fall and it came with a Lazy L inground cement pool that's at least 20 years old. Old owners really did nothing for the past 15 years except throw a stack of chlorine tabs in the skimmer once a week as they spent summers at their cottage. There's no cover as they said they drained it and power washed it each spring.

Lucky for us, they paid for a home warranty with the pool addon. I called last year as the pressure gauge was broken (more like cross threaded and broken) and once the pool company the warranty place assigned arrived he said it was an old filter he could no longer source parts for, threw a fit that there was a stack of chlorine tabs in the skimmer (I owned the house a week, still left from Previous owner) and noticed the 15 year old heater was not working and valve stuck partially shut (he blamed on wrong use of chlorine).

After two weeks of back and forth with the warranty company, they replaced the filter and filter head, new sand, re-routed the internal piping (filter and pump are in my garage) because they claimed too many bends in it, and basically rebuilt the heater guts completely. For $75 deductible I was happy.

I did have him add an auto chlorinator at the time for another $90, and that's mounted outside, on the return line leaving the heater.

I still have to fix the two dozen tiles that are / have fallen off, but given the age and condition of the surface, I was hoping to wait one more season and just schedule a complete replastering / tile job.

With the snow gone now (yes I know its Michigan), I want to get the electrical sorted out for the pool as it seems to be a mess. The previous owners had a breaker box mounted near the pump / filter area (inside the garage). They simply used the breakers as switches to tun on the light / heater / pump (not exactly code), but even worse, the pump is a 1HP 240V motor and they had it controlled via 2 110v 30 amp breakers......

I'm looking for a decent timer, don't need anything fancy, that would work with my 240v motor so I can get an electrician out to replace the breaker and wire in the timer while he's there as well as wire up some switches for the light.

Can anyone recommend a decent timer model?

Do I need something to control the heater and timer as well, or can I just put the heater on a switch? (Heater has a switch and temp control on the unit itself outside).

Last Two Questions, the pool is a ~38 x 19 Lazy L, and idea on a good resurfacing company in the Grand Rapids, MI area and what that would cost? What's the best place to buy a safety cover at?

Thanks for any help!

Hello and welcome! Sounds like you're off & running on the DIY scene. Well, for the timer, many folks like the standard Intermatics - T104M for 220V in your case. I'll have to defer the heater and resurfacing questions to another reader. That's a bit out of my league. But hey, welcome to TFP!

Hello and welcome! Sounds like you're off & running on the DIY scene. Well, for the timer, many folks like the standard Intermatics - T104M for 220V in your case. I'll have to defer the heater and resurfacing questions to another reader. That's a bit out of my league. But hey, welcome to TFP!

Hey thanks!!

I'm hoping this turns out better than the house I bought with the above ground pool. After two years of fighting green water, I tore it down :)

Hoping to get everything on a schedule and timer to make it easier for my wife as with my normal work schedule and weekend flying job, I'm not around as much as I (or she) would like to be.

What kind of heater is it?

a lot of heaters have built in timers and circuits
to connect the pump motor to. Just make sure the voltage is correct.

Mine was wired this way when I bought the house so I just use the built in timer of the heater
and have the gas shut off most of the time.

I agree with using the Intermatic T104M timer. That's what I have and it's a good timer.

The guy who told you improper chlorine caused the pipes in the heater to corrode was mostly wrong. Hi pH of the water is the culprit and can easily cause the pipes to corrode. As long as you keep your pH in recommended range, you wont have a problem with that though.

I'm hoping this turns out better than the house I bought with the above ground pool. After two years of fighting green water, I tore it down

If you maintain your pool to TFP recommended levels, you won't have any algae. CLick the Pool School button to learn how!
:)

Hello and welcome! I'm in GR (Ada way) but I honestly don't know of any co. other than Bluewater Pools (west side, lake mi drve) that build gunite. I guess in your shoes I'd be inclined to only talk to companies actively building short crete and gunite pools. I've never dealt with Bluewater, so I can't offer any insight to their skill or quality.

Mine is vinyl and was built by Polynesian, who are popular up in the northeast area. They do staff full techs for service but I don't think they've done much construction-wise with gunite. They're solid on mechanical.

Btw, I have an electrician friend over at Allied who has done a lot of pool work -- you sound like you have someone electrician-wise, but I can ask him if he knows anyone especially good with plaster in the area. I won't see him til next Thursday but you have time ;)

Hello and welcome! I'm in GR (Ada way) but I honestly don't know of any co. other than Bluewater Pools (west side, lake mi drve) that build gunite. I guess in your shoes I'd be inclined to only talk to companies actively building short crete and gunite pools. I've never dealt with Bluewater, so I can't offer any insight to their skill or quality.

Mine is vinyl and was built by Polynesian, who are popular up in the northeast area. They do staff full techs for service but I don't think they've done much construction-wise with gunite. They're solid on mechanical.

Btw, I have an electrician friend over at Allied who has done a lot of pool work -- you sound like you have someone electrician-wise, but I can ask him if he knows anyone especially good with plaster in the area. I won't see him til next Thursday but you have time ;)

Thanks.

I've been playing phone tag with ACME the past couple of days. Hopefully we can connect and get a bid.

TorresWorks responded that they was $75 to come bid the work.

A weekend of hard work cleaning and some pump running time and we went from nearly green to crystal clear, now to just vacuum the bottom out and keep the ducks away (dogs work).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.