might not be able to open pool - mosquito breeding ground!

Nov 14, 2015
Chicagoland, IL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Last fall, we purchased a foreclosed home with an In-ground pool that was last winterized in 2013, we think.

The pool cover has some tears and holes in it, and there is water deep enough in the pool that the cover is sagging into it, and there are several inches of water over the center of the pool. We may not be able to open the pool this year, do to the unknown expense of getting it back up and running. We can see some above ground plumbing that needs to be replaced due to broken parts. We do not know if any of the pumps or filters are operable.

We're in chicagoland, and we already have mosquitoes invading our house in March. I'm thinking it might be the giant mosquitobreeder pool.

I'm thinking of maybe throwing in some mosquito dunks, since we may not be trying to work on the pool until May or June. Question is - since the cover is damaged, and will not keep mosquitoes out - better to drain the pool a bit with an external pump, and throw some dunks under the cover, or let the water level be, and throw dunks on top of the cover?

And also, if we have to keep adding new dunks - will they cause a problem with the pool, or humans swimming in it if/when we can get it operable?

Thanks!

It sounds like you have quite a mess on your hands. But here's the issue ...... from your description, it sounds like your in-ground vinyl pool will need a new liner, not to mention plumbing repairs. Some things may be a DIY project, others ... hard to tell at this point. But we normally don't advise completely draining an in-ground pool because the ground and structure of that pool depend on each other for stability. If you drain completely, you run the risk of the pool frame or ground collapsing. You could lower the water to within a couple feet or so, or to the lowest step in your pool if you have steps, but don't go "bone-dry".

As for pesticides, typically not a good idea, but if that liner gets replaced later this year or next, it won't matter anyways. That will all be gone. But if someone is able to salvage what you currently have, you don't want pesticides in the water. I suspect much will depend on your repair options (and available $$$) this year. :)

I would lower the water level below the cover, if possible and keep dunks in the pool at all times until you plan on getting it operational. You don't want to have to drain the pool as that may cause the liner to shift or the walls to crack depending on your pool surface (vinyl, plaster) or your water table (hydrostatic pressure outside pool walls). If it's a vinyl lined pool, you should keep at least 6 inches, a foot is safer of water in the shallowest part of the pool.

Dunks won't cause any problems once you get equipment operational and want to get the pool cleared up. They contain a larvacide that is harmless to humans, pets, birds, etc.

Keeping mosquito breeding down and SAFETY is the most important thing. Since the cover is damaged, make sure the pool area is secure with locked gates and doors.

I would attempt to address the pool as soon as you can or risk fines from your local authorities for a nuisance issue. If you need help identifying components or recommendations on plumbing, posting pictures (via a photo sharing site) would help.

I was able to track down the installer, from county records - they tell me it's a concrete pool with plaster finish. 27,000 gallon.

Yeah, the money part will be the big deal. I would expect that it will cost just to have someone make a visit to tell us what we need to do to get it up and running.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks! We are in unincorporated county. County does require a pool fence which we do not have (yet) :mad: I'm sure the previous owners got away with it simply because it's hidden from ready view, and again, unincorporated county. There is a fence around the entire property but that does not protect my kids and guests. Even if it's just a snow fence staked into the ground to keep out critters and kids I'll be doing that before the cover comes off. I have 3 kids under 10.

Depending on the current condition of the plumbing and equipment, you could try to turn things on right now to see what works. Many things you can check yourself.

Turn on electrical breakers that may be turned off and briefly turn on the pool pump to see if it turns on. Just don't run it for very long "dry."

Open up the filter to see if it's in good condition.

Repair/replace any PVC pipe or valves that are broken. Much of this can be done by a homeowner with just a little research and willingness to try it.

If there are no major breaks in the PVC or equipment, put the filter on BYPASS and see if you have circulation.

Thanks! We are in unincorporated county. County does require a pool fence which we do not have (yet) :mad: I'm sure the previous owners got away with it simply because it's hidden from ready view, and again, unincorporated county. There is a fence around the entire property but that does not protect my kids and guests. Even if it's just a snow fence staked into the ground to keep out critters and kids I'll be doing that before the cover comes off. I have 3 kids under 10. We're looking into getting the cover replaced, as it's probably 10 years old, and growing things on it/in the webbing.

I'm so sorry PG, I misread your first post about the tears & holes (cover NOT pool). :hammer: Ugh. Yes, as Joel mentioned above, be careful about draining as that pool shell is of upmost concern. And since those dunks are not as harmful as I initially thought, then maintain control as best as you can on those pesky mosquitos.

And to think I learned something new today from Joel who is in Minnesota:

Man, I've been wanting to use that pic for a while now. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.