New here and ready to cancel chemical service

Mar 3, 2016
Tucson
Hi all,

Thanks to this site I've learned a lot and I'm ready to cancel our weekly chemical service. We need to save $ plus I now have the time to take care of it myself. He typically dumps a canister of chlorine (gas?) and some white powder in during his short visit. I plan to see him once more next week to say thanks and see if he has any tips for me.

Here's the first numbers from my new TF-100 kit.

PH 7.2
FC 7
CC 0
CH 1200
TA 70
CYA 40

A few days ago I deep cleaned the sand filter and couldn't believe what came out of there. I haven't bought any chemicals yet but it sounds like a trip to Walmart for bleach is a good start.

Thanks,
David

Hi Desertdog,
Welcome to TFP!

You've done the right thing by getting your own test kit. Thats the first step.

By the numbers you posted, you don't need any more chemicals.

your CH measurement of 1200 is high man.. way high. Any chance it would be testing error? Maybe test it again?

I would recommend you also test your Tap water for CH and see what it is.

Welcome to the site. Oh boy, something tells me that between Tucson's hard water and all the junk added in the past from the pool service, that 1200 reading might be close. Experimenting in the Poolmath Calculator, I can see your CSI is right on the outside (high) end. Still you're hanging in there. It's amazing how much a difference even a new TA of 60 versus 70 does for your CSI reading. If you confirm that your CH testing was accurate, definitely use the calculator (very) often to watch pH and TA very closely as they are your last line of defense against that high CH.

In any case, David .... welcome to TFP. You've done well so far. Glad to have you aboard.

I've seen my CH readings that high and higher. You can't just drink Tucson water, it's got to be chewed. It only takes a couple years to get to those levels, then it's drain and start over (with CH only in the 600-800 range).

CH isnt surprising. hard water plus high temps and low humidity mean lots of evaporation and refills. good combination to get your CH rising really fast. manageable, just keep an eye on the CSI ratio in pool math to make sure you dont start to precipitate.

Agreed, the CH could easily be 1200, but it absolutely should be confirmed with a re test, and makeup water test. Almost two years in, I'm knocking on the 1000 PPM CH door. Not bad though considering I have 700 or so in my makeup.

:shock:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm taking the advice on the speedstir and will retest the CH when it comes. For now I thanked the pool man and cancelled the chem service. He dropped in a tank of chlorine and some sodium bicarb, said the bicarb made acid to keep ph low. That seems backwards to me. Isn't bicarb a base? I always assumed the powder he was adding was dry acid. Anyway I'll touch back with new test results in a few days. Thanks again.

Typically, sodium bicarbonate is used mainly to raise TA. It has a small effect on pH, but mostly TA. From a previous post:
Sodium hydrogen carbonate is a synonym for sodium bicarbonate and is the same thing as baking soda.

Still, here is a very interesting article on its use during plaster start-up: The Bicarb Start-up and Why it Works

Every little bit helps. But you're right on the edge. Keep an eye on the pH and TA, making sure they remain low enough to counter-balance that high CH (and CSI level) in the Poolmath Calculator. The calculator is your most important tool at the moment. Make sure you update the temperature on that thing as well. It has a big effect on your CSI. Let us know if you have any questions. Good luck!

I'm taking the advice on the speedstir and will retest the CH when it comes. For now I thanked the pool man and cancelled the chem service. He dropped in a tank of chlorine and some sodium bicarb, said the bicarb made acid to keep ph low. That seems backwards to me. Isn't bicarb a base? I always assumed the powder he was adding was dry acid. Anyway I'll touch back with new test results in a few days. Thanks again.

Hey Desertdog,

If he said that about the BiCarb, it's a good thing you let him go. That's scary if he believes that, and carries around Gas Chlorine, but that's what I'm most curious about. You mean to say he left a Cylinder of Chlorine gas at your residence? :shock:

And has he returned to retrieve it? Nothing wrong with Gas treatment at all, but that sounds pretty negligent. In all honesty it would be my first choice for a Chlorine source except for a host of handling issues and red tape hurdles. But wow that is amazing he would leave it like that.

Sorry if I mislead you Patrick, he emptied a canister of chlorine into the pool last week and some powder. He didn't leave anything. He may have just told me something about the powder to end the conversation. I had already told him I was cancelling. Good timing too I received a notice of rate increase the next day.

Thanks again,
DDog

sorry if i mislead you patrick, he emptied a canister of chlorine into the pool last week and some powder. He didn't leave anything. He may have just told me something about the powder to end the conversation. I had already told him i was cancelling. Good timing too i received a notice of rate increase the next day.

Thanks again,
ddog

haha -- perfect!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.