Vinyl liner reset or replace

I've taken advantage of a lot of good advice on this forum and now I'm making my first post. This winter we received 12 inches of rain in 36 hours. While pumping water out of my pool to keep it from over-flowing I must have over did it and the vinyl liner became unset. The water level in the pool remained low, just below the lowest step but entire bottom of the pool filled, from mid-december until now. I finally got a hold of a pool company to come by and they are telling me that I need a new liner because the water level was too low for too long. The liner was replaced in 2011,so its about 5 years old. My question, does this sound legitimate? I expected the liner to last at least 3-4 more years. Is there anything I can do like add additional water to the pool that will help me or is it too late? Thanks.

John

I would fill it back up and see what happens. We saw one last month or so where the liner did the same thing. Once he filled it back up with water if seated just fine. I say it is worth it to try. Let us know what happens.

kim

+1 on filling it to see what happens - nothing to lose and a good chance it will be fine.
I have a friend whose liner has floated every spring but is otherwise usable and more or less re-seats itself as soon as the ground dries out. However, in his case, its not that the vinyl has dried out and shrunk or become brittle...which will be why the pool guy is telling you you'll need a new one. He will be assuming you don't want to risk it failing in season. In your shoes, I'd take the risk since its relatively new.

Just so you know for the future, there is a school of thought where you don't lower the water at all for winter. I still use pool guys to close for the labor, and they leave the level high to protect the liner from float. We use plugs and a gizmo in the skimmer box.

This may be why my liner is now 15 years old and snug as a bug structurally speaking. The only reason I may need to change it soon is that it is getting pretty bleached out in one sunny corner that's likely exacerbated by heavy daily cleaning with the robot due to a high debris load. The pigment is actually wearing off ;)

I will keep my fingers crossed that you can salvage yours!

Thanks for the advice. I'm adding water now. To tell you the truth I don't think it is very brittle. I'll let you guys know how it fills up. Another question, do any of you use a cover pump or other tool to keep the pool from overflowing during heavy rains over the winter? Any recommendations? That is why I had to drain, I just got over zealous expecting the rain to continue. Thanks again.

Funny, over here on the other side of the STL metro area, my neighbor's vinyl liner pulled itself out of the track and bulged in one area, also due to the rain and water getting behind it. Every pool company he's called has told him it would be a month to get out to see him, and that they were sure he was going to need a new vinyl liner (without even having looked at it yet). As of today, he pulled the liner back into the track and packed down the bulge as best as possible, and filled it back up. Should be good for a while I think, and his liner is about 8 years old.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.