Planning a pool in Chicago area

Hi all!

I am new here and we are planning on replacing our 20 year old above ground pool with an inground.
I am pretty sure we are going with a vinyl lined and my husband wants salt water. Has anyone done steel walls with salt water or is polymer walls the way to go with salt?
I am certain I will have a gazillion more questions but going to start here :)

Thank you!

HI! I can't wait to see your build! We might build an in ground pool one day but for now it is our above ground and that is okay with me LOL

My gut says----------steel+salt=not good. Have you checked the warranty on the pool you are looking at? They might have something to say about it. I would so far as to call them just to make sure.

Kim

HI everyone and Thank You for the warm welcome :)

It looks like most people here do not go with salt water correct? It seems everyone I have talked to in this area recommends salt water. I believe most say if going with salt go with Polymer which is also my gut.

I am going to try and post a picture of my yard in its current state (omg hot mess lol) to also get some ideas on size and shape. We were looking at 16x32 or 18x32. My husband wants rectangle which I am ok with but I prefer radius corners and an outside step on the side not the end. The outside side step MAY be a bit of an issue because we have a huge concrete patio we would be adding to and also in the back left corner 2 ginormous evergreens we planted too close together 20 years ago :p which may not leave enough space for 18x32 and/or the step on the side.
One PB (who I would NOT go with to build) drew up an 18x33 Kidney shape which could work but not sure I love the shape and husband really prefers rectangle.

So, let me see if I can get some pics on here! Stay tuned ....

- - - Updated - - -

There are many, many steel-walled pools that have SWG's. It's an everyday occurrence.

Really? Well that is great to know! We are trying to get the most bang for our buck without sacrificing anything major and steel walls were a bit less expensive.

- - - Updated - - -

http://%3Ca%20href%3D%22http//s95.photobucket.com/user/LBVL94/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsjcmlcfnp.jpeg.html%22%20target=%22_blank%22%20rel=%22nofollow%22%3E
image_zpsjcmlcfnp.jpeg
%3C/a%3E

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

This is a not so close neighbor's pool which is a similar design we were thinking of for the pool

We are thinking the edge of the new pool would have to start right around where the edge of the current pool is in order to not be under the evergreens and with the outside step on the side we would need to go with a 16x32 . We have dogs so we do want to have some grass left. I will have new landscaping all along the side where my neighbor put up that awful white fence to try and camouflage it a bit :( (Long story)
We would remove the paver pad the grill is on and concrete with a paver grill surround and a curved seat wall to connect to current patio and swoop out for new concrete around pool ... the back side near the trees would follow the current paver pattern but thinking another seat wall along there.

Thoughts so far?

- - - Updated - - -

neighbors white fence ....

- - - Updated - - -

This is the drawing PB #1 came up with. Hubby doesn't like it much I'm not sure but it wasn't love at first sight lol

It looks like most people here do not go with salt water correct? It seems everyone I have talked to in this area recommends salt water. I believe most say if going with salt go with Polymer which is also my gut.

Really? Well that is great to know! We are trying to get the most bang for our buck without sacrificing anything major and steel walls were a bit less expensive.

Welcome to TFP and congrats on the new pool!

There are lots of saltwater pool owners here at TFP. I would guess it is at least 50/50 salt vs non-salt. There are lots of reasons a polymer pool will last longer than a steel pool. But, also lots of steel walled pools with saltwater. Check the warranty on the steel walled pool and see how it all works in your budget.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.