Remodel - Covering Up Swim Lane Tiles?

Mar 20, 2009
I love this site, very helpful.

Getting estimates for a remodel (texas, 25 year old inground plaster, 25,000 gal, 120 perimeter) and while the waterline tile will be chipped out and replaced, the bids mention that the swim lane tile, spa & pool steps tile will be covered with plaster and new tiled laid on top.

Is that normal for a remodel? Seems like a recipe for a future problem, how thick is the new plaster coat?

Thanks for any insight.

austinsailor said:
I love this site, very helpful.

Hey, I feel the same way! Welcome to the forum :wave:

Getting estimates for a remodel (texas, 25 year old inground plaster, 25,000 gal, 120 perimeter) and while the waterline tile will be chipped out and replaced, the bids mention that the swim lane tile, spa & pool steps tile will be covered with plaster and new tiled laid on top.
Wish I had more info, but can only relate our semi-rehab. We had our pool replastered in 3/07. We did not have the waterline tile changed for two reasons: 1. $$$ 2. It is a nice plain blue :-D , which we like!

But, we did have the same tile facing the steps and the love seats. The 'pool man' suggested plastering over them and we agreed. So far, we are very pleased with the outcome. It took a few years off the look of the pool.... just gave it a fresher, newer look. We did NOT have new tile laid over them.

Is that normal for a remodel? Seems like a recipe for a future problem, how thick is the new plaster coat?

Don't know what is 'normal' or how thick the new plaster coat is, but after 2 years, no problems for us.

Good luck with your remodel. We hope you share it with us with lots of pix and conversation :lol:

Thanks for any insight.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.