Another O/B in Fabulous Las Vegas, Nevada (with completed photos and costs!)

Mar 4, 2016
Las Vegas, NV
Hello everyone. I'm joining the ranks of owner/builders in Las Vegas and starting the process today. I've enjoyed looking at other people's process and so I'll try and give updates here about what my experience is like.

I'll start by saying that we had a pool built at our last home 2 years ago. We recently moved and went back to the same pool builder thinking that we could get a nearly identical pool built for a nearly identical cost. Boy, were we wrong. With his suggested add-ons, the total price he quoted was twice what we paid last time. After telling him to cut out some of the add-ons and giving him an upper limit on our budget, he dropped the price coming in at $500 over the limit we had given. And, since we're good customers, he was willing to throw in a chlorinator or automation. Thinking that this might not be too bad of a deal, I started doing some research on chlorinators and came across owner/builder threads here, and so began my descent into the rabbit hole. After reading your experiences and seeing some ballpark figures, I figured I owed it to myself (and my wallet) to look into whether I could be an owner/builder. I contacted one of the posters here and he got me started on the path. I just sent my sketch to the designer and this owner/builder project is officially under way.

Although I spent several days thinking about this design and hoping it is final, I imagine it will change slightly before I get through this. Either way, here is the idea:

FullSizeRender.jpg

Re: Another O/B in Fabulous Las Vegas, Nevada

4' should be fine for almost all slides, they shoot you out not down.

Just check out the slide you are thinking about and they'll provide a spec for where in the pool, depths etc you need to maintain.

water-safety-envelope-2.jpg

Oh goodie! A new pool to help build and spend money one! SWEET! Make sure to share you equipment so we can offer advice on that and maybe save you some money!

Kim

Nice! I love watching owner builds :) Please share how much you'll be saving over going the PB route too! I'm also leaning towards owner build, but I'm unsure if the savings would be worth the hassle.

I see they list ball valves on the spec sheet. You will want to change those to Jandy neverlube valves
jandy neverlube valve - Google Search

They are much better over the long term. Make sure they use unions on all of the equipment for ease of service in the future as well.

Ask for the model numbers to be put in writing as well.

What fun this will be!

Kim

Well, I got my design and was waiting for designer to give me a quote from his engineer for engineering. Unfortunately, it turns out that my home is located in a "special geotechnical consideration area." That means I will have to get a soils report in order to get the engineering done. It will increase the cost by about $500. The designer recommends proceeding with an excavation-only permit and then calling for the soils testing. The hole will be dug and the testing will be easier. Then, based on the testing, I will get engineering to accommodate whatever soils conditions are actually present and should be able to get the permit. It is the first bump in the road, to be expected of course, and probably not the last.

On on another front, I submitted my plans to my HOA architectural review committee. Waiting for their approval which will hopefully include permission to access my property through a vacant lot and tearing down part of my block wall which should lower the cost of excavation.

Spent 1.5 hours at the building department getting my permit--which is excavation only until I get a soils report. I'm adding a gas stub for a fire pit and that required an additional application and I had to "estimate" the value of it so they could generate permit fees. I also had to get an approval from the sewer department. Got it all paid for and don't have to go back in until I have my soils report and structural drawings.

Also started hearing back from various subcontractors with bids today. Starting to feel like building a pool via owner/builder route is more reality than dream.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

I'm still waiting for approval from my HOA before I can get this project fully underway. One of the plumbers gave me an estimate that includes Cladlite equipment pads. I had never heard of them before and nothing came up when I searched the forum. A little research says they are steel reinforced, lightweight concrete equipment pads. Anyone ever used them or know anything about them as opposed to straight concrete?

Last week I finally got the approval from my HOA--it also included the okay to use the vacant lot next door for access to my backyard. Today, the excavation crew came, laid out the pool, and started digging. Here are some before pictures:

image_zpsdamgd5tq.jpeg
image_zpscvbuqir1.jpeg
image_zpspe69tkhk.jpeg

They craned the excavator over your block wall?!? Here in AZ they just knock down a 10-15 ft section of block wall, then rebuild it at the end of the dig. That must be a special wall to protect it that way (or more likely, an overzealous HOA).

Yeah, they craned it in because the cost was pretty close to what knocking down the wall and rebuilding it would have been. Plus, the lot next to me was vacant so we had easy access. It also cut down on the overall hassle as I don't have to deal with a big hole in the wall with my dogs.

We finished the dig today. Luckily, we didn't hit any rock or other problems. The soils test has been ordered so now I have to wait for that so I can get structural drawings. After I get those, it will be back to the permit office for the full permit and then onward.

image_zpsnwmknwtl.jpeg
image_zpsg2eyhmh0.jpeg
image_zpsch7nx9q0.jpeg
image_zpskqakcwmr.jpeg

Just a random curious question, why didn't you just avoid the soils test altogether and have the maximum amount of steel put in the pool? The extra cost on the steel probably wouldn't be much and you would save time and the cost of the soils test. Not trying to be judgmental just an honest question. Congrats on your build! You'll have this done just in time for summer.

Because I'm in an area designated as special geotechnical considerations, the county told me that I have to have. Soils report to get the full permit. I could have had the structural drawings done with maximum steel, but it would have cost me a little more for the steel. And since county told me I had to get the report I decided to try and save those extra few bucks. Maybe a different person at the county would have let me but that is what I was told

All lt the dirt was put in the back of a truck and hauled off.

Now go out and measure while the digger is still there.........is it long, deep, wide,etc enough? Add in about about 6 inches for the gunite and plaster.

Kim :cat:

After some delays for getting the soils report, structural drawings, and full permit, as well as an issue with the plumbing supplier being out for a week, things are finally moving again. Plumbing is happening as I type this. Already had one easily corrected issue when the heater we got turned out to be missing its insides (it was a display model that got packaged in a normal box). Steel will go in tomorrow or the next day and electrical will probably be early next week and the finishing touches for plumbing after the steel is done. That will bring me up to the first inspection. The light at the end of the tunnel is getting a little brighter.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.